Do not attempt maintenance when tired.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So. I get home after an early - the shift I most hate. Bike has recently been repaired at Halfords, so understandably the gears aren't indexed perfectly. This is something I know how to do, despite being mostly useless at bike repair.

I forget to do it until I start falling asleep. Thinking 'got to do it before it gets dark/tomorrow morning' I head out to the garage.

Cue an hour of frustration, hitting the wall, kicking the wall, throwing a full on infantile temper tantrum at one point, as I just can't get the bastard things to work - at all! Not even slightly. Skipping, sticking, at one point I rip the cable guard end thing off. It's so useless I'm wondering if I can even ride in tomorrow.

Finally I remember the Apex shifter has a little cable guide in between the bolt and the cable adjuster that I've been consistently missing, putting the wire in front of it, behind it - anything but in the actual guide. The guide therefore kept pushing hard against the wire at one extreme or the other and trapping it. As soon as I remembered, everything works perfectly again.

Gary E

Veteran
There's a moral to this story, but I'm too tired to think what it might be :angel:

Top Bottom