Do not buy it!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roberto65

Am in a long line who had their bike pinched in Bristol.

Friend had roof to garage cut off, other duathlete 2 £5ks
stolen and then last week without any sign of breakin and from
a secluded part of my back garden my Wilier was nabbed.

Police did not even visit. Hey thats Bristol, the 2009 UK City
of Cycling!!

They must have come over 5 walled gardens to get specifically
to my shed.

I urge you do not buy a Wilier Cento Lampre team with blue/white
tape. Push the rider into the Avon gorge and do us all a favor.

If you have any pics/ more info that will be grate as there are some on here that know a lot of people in the bike shops down there.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Friend just before Christmas had someone climb across 5 terraced back gardens with their neighbour's bike ... luckily for her it was nicer than all of her bikes that were all stored together. That was in Bishopston.

Have you tried heading towards some of the more "interesting" areas of town. I saw someone riding a bike around Christmas time - that didn't look like it was his (expensive road bike on the pavement with saddle far too low).

peanut

roberto65 said:
Am in a long line who had their bike pinched in Bristol.

Friend had roof to garage cut off, other duathlete 2 £5ks
stolen and then last week without any sign of breakin and from

Police did not even visit. Hey thats Bristol, the 2009 UK City
of Cycling!!

They must have come over 5 walled gardens to get specifically
to my shed.

I urge you do not buy a Wilier Cento Lampre team with blue/white
tape. Push the rider into the Avon gorge and do us all a favor.
really sorry to hear that chum but you have to question anyone's common sense who leaves a top end bike unsecured in their garden shed in Bristol ;)

A

another_dave_b

peanut said:
really sorry to hear that chum but you have to question anyone's common sense who leaves a top end bike unsecured in their garden shed in Bristol ;)
No you don't. You complain to the police, and the council loudly. Write letters to local press, and try to get action.

You don't blame the victim.

peanut

another_dave_b said:
No you don't. You complain to the police, and the council loudly. Write letters to local press, and try to get action.

You don't blame the victim.

sorry i do not agree. I do not see the poster as a victim at all .

I would not leave anything I value in a garden shed certainly not in an inner-city location .

I would suggest that all insurance companies would agree with me as you would be unable to get bicycle insurance if you advised them the bike was stored in a timber garden shed .

Ask yourself this question. If it was your bike and you lived in Bristol would you leave the bike in a garden shed uninsured?

OP
OP
R

roberto65

Um, who said anythging about a wooden shed? This was a locked Asguard Steel
shed! Others were drilled into and also loccked in inner porch. Get the point!

If you are saying that as a cyclist your bike should be in your bed like the
heads horse in the godfather then it defeats the purpose of participating
in the beautiful sport.

Hope this restores your faith in my 'common sense' and hope that you can see
your TV for your bicycle!!

Main point here is the police are not interested in niche crime which is different to common bike theft from a lamp-post.

peanut

no use getting pissed with me or others because you are angry with yourself about losing your bike is it.

You lost your bike because you didn't take good enough care of it and secure it properly. You obviously didn't insure it either . Don't come and cry on my shoulder I'm not going to sympathize.

Besides how do you expect me to react when you post this

roberto65 said:
then last week without any sign of breakin and from

where is there anything about the bike being in a Asguard steel shed ? you specifically say there was no sign of a breakin .I posted my response to your inital post. Suggest in future you post the full story if you don't want to be misunderstood

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is your bike post code marked? or identifiable to you from the frame? I know of people who have got their bike back in Bristol because of this... but probably not high end bikes. Have you tried talking in person to a policeman? They definitely seem to react better to that, than phone calls. I often chat to PCSO's or police officers when I see them.

Stick up a photo anyway... so we know what bike to push into the Avon/Trym/Malago etc.

OP
OP
R

roberto65

Yes, need to get to a police station as the beat officer cant make the phone call.

Have reconned the area and seems that was probably being watched and thieves got in over several walls. Worrying in itself for all of us with precious bikes.

Thanks for the sensible replies. Aim of posting was to warn, alert especially in local area.

To my friend the access points to an apparently secure garden were not broken into, not after his sympathy or advice. And insurance is processing the claim.. there!

peanut said:
no use getting pissed with me or others because you are angry with yourself about losing your bike is it.

You lost your bike because you didn't take good enough care of it and secure it properly. You obviously didn't insure it either . Don't come and cry on my shoulder I'm not going to sympathize.

Besides how do you expect me to react when you post this

where is there anything about the bike being in a Asguard steel shed ? you specifically say there was no sign of a breakin .I posted my response to your inital post. Suggest in future you post the full story if you don't want to be misunderstood

Where is there anything said about the bike NOT being in an Asguard steel shed?

When I had a steel shed, it was built onto an 8 inch conrete base with a ground anchor fitted. The doors were reinforced and a ground anchor installed. The bikes were electronically tagged.

At my current address the bikes live in the house, but it is a bigger house and I have a very understanding partner.

We can't all live like that.

peanut

Thats not the point is it?
The point that seems to allude you is that my first response to the posters thread was in response to his description that the bike was in a secluded part of the garden and that there was no sign of a break in.

Nothing about any shed was mentioned was it ? If the OP had a shed I'm not telepathic am I.

I would suggest that given the OP claimed that there was quote' no sign of a break-in' that it was not unreasonable for me to assume that the bike wasn'tlocked in a steel asquard shed .

Your own security arrangements sound a little overboard to me but frankly they are irrelevant to this point anyway

ed_o_brain said:
Where is there anything said about the bike NOT being in an Asguard steel shed?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Welcome to Cycle Chat Roberto, thanks for the warnings and sorry to hear your bike and Police disinterest.:biggrin:

Please forgive some of the 'nuttier' replies you have received on this thread, this is not the considered or usual welcome to new members on the forum.

peanut

roberto65 said:
Yes, need to get to a police station as the beat officer cant make the phone call.

Have reconned the area and seems that was probably being watched and thieves got in over several walls. Worrying in itself for all of us with precious bikes.

Thanks for the sensible replies. Aim of posting was to warn, alert especially in local area.

To my friend the access points to an apparently secure garden were not broken into, not after his sympathy or advice. And insurance is processing the claim.. there!
glad that you were insured after all . Lets hope the claim is met. Next time it would be helpful to post all of the relevant information ,clearly, so that there is less chance of any misunderstanding or ambiguity. good luck with your claim

Top Bottom