Do The Police Take Bike Crime Seriously

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WEDES

spoke to my university security and they felt that the police didnt take bike crime seriously. Anyone had any problems with the police and bike theft

yello

You'd have to define seriously. They'd say they do within the context of all the other things they have to do. But it's hardly the number 1 for them, as you'd expect.

In trouble

Like any crime. if your bike goes missing, no cctv/no witnesses, not allot to do other than give it a crime number and take details of things like frame no. in case it turns up.

Like any crime, if there is CCTV, or witnesses, then these will/should be seen, and any investigation will go from there.

The Police are now required to record crime accuratly under the NCRS (National Crime recording Something........Standards) and like anything to do with statistics, if that crime can be solved, its a plus figure on the Police's books.

If you become a victim, don't be afraid to ask how the investigation is going, and pester the cop. Also, do a little digging of your own, if you identify CCTV, the cop is hard pressed to 'miss it', and therefore you are more likely to get the cop to look at it. (hope that makes sense)

Tynan

Veteran
what do you seriously expect them to do about a stolen bike?

given the chances of a sucessful investigation relative to the loss?

if they really do have resource problems I'd rather they pursue rapists and burglars and stabbings

GrahamG

Guru
It's a shame really - the only reason they have 'resource problems' is the ridiculous amount of paperwork they have to complete.

Personally i'd have a word with with your university security to see what measures, THEY THEMSELVES, are going to take to make it more difficult to steal bikes in the first place...!!!!!!!!!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
jimboalee said:
Bike theft... No.

Cyclists doing bad things... Yes.

Bike theft usually commited with no witnesses to point towards a suspect. No realistic chance of a prosecution, but crime prevention advice can be given.

Cyclists doing bad things.........RLJ'ing, no lights, on footpath etc...usually witnessed by a police officer, no?

We can all help by securing our bikes, being vigilant and realistic about what police can do after a bike theft. Also, we can stop riding like idiots, and remove the reason for police stopping us.

OP
OP
W

WEDES

Reporting

so would you always report your bike stolen to the police, or would you just think there is no point. what about bike accessories, would you report them.

longers

Legendary Member
I'd always report anything stolen to the police if I wanted to claim on insurance for it.

No crime number = no payout.

gratts

If my bike gets stolen while locked up at uni 3 different parties pay out. £900 payout on a bike I paid £170 for. I actually hope it gets stolen but that's quite unlikely.
What uni you at mate?

Top Bottom