Do you "Facebook"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Krypton

Personally I don't do Facebook - tried it, never got on with it - but my sister-in-law spends her life on the damn thing to the point it is ruining her life!!!

If you looked at her profile you'd think she was some young sex goddess who, when she wasn't on Facebook, was busy being charmed by every bloke in town for her super sexiness, and you'd be mistaken for thinking she was out partying all the time with her many, many, friends, getting great sex on a daily basis, and was incredibly active and socially outgoing.

The reality is far far far from it.

She spends so much time on Facebook that her house is a complete mess, her diet consists of snack foods (the packets of which litter the room where her PC is) leading to her being grossly overweight; her social life is non-existant because she's always on Facebook, and she won't go out because she's not happy with her looks because she's so big from being on the PC all day eating crap in front of Facebook.

To top it all, her - to be fair to him, very tollerant - husband has now moved out because he said he might as well be living on his own for all the interaction he gets from her (oh, and definitely no sex because she's always so busy/tired from Facebooking constantly).

Do you know anyone who is this addicted to Facebook? or maybe someone who projects a completely different Facebook personal compared to the reality of their lives as you know it?

Bloody mad if you ask me ...

darkstar

Never heard of Facebook addiction but suppose it must exist. It may not be the nicest thing to say to her, but maybe the truth is what she need to hear from her family. "Stop wasting your life away on Facebook and get out there to meet your mates for real'.

mark barker

I know a fair few people that lead much nicer lives on facebook than they do in reality, but not to those kind of extremes.

Personally I enjoy catching up with people on facebook, but I'll only add people as friends that I actually know in the real world. I've never understood the obsession with adding random people just to increase your friend count.

Leah

Eek. Internet addicition is a real thing, unfortunately.

Thats a pretty bad way to lead your life. I don't understand what there is to do on facebook for that amount of time? I check it twice a day and I thought that was too much, theres never anything interesting going on.

I think she should strongly consider seeing a doctor.

Dammit, don't tempt me! Isn't Cyclechat addiction enough? Mrs P just joined up FB, but I'm resisting.... :blush:

montage

God Almighty
People use it to create a fake image of themselves, and then think they need to spend hours on it in order to uphold this image. I have spent a lot of time infront of the computer this summer due to knee surgery, and every time I check facebook the same people are always online posting self obsessed status'. Welcome to 2010

Shaun

Founder
Sounds like she's got a real problem and needs help.

I don't use it personally, but having tried to integrate the forums with it I have, in the process, ended up setting-up a CycleChat Facebook page where people can pop in to wave "Hello" - www.facebook.com/cyclechat

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

darkstar

People use it to create a fake image of themselves, and then think they need to spend hours on it in order to uphold this image. I have spent a lot of time infront of the computer this summer due to knee surgery, and every time I check facebook the same people are always online posting self obsessed status'. Welcome to 2010
This is true, lots of boring people attempting to make out that they lead some kind of crazy life, yet they still have the time to post status updates, to notify people... It's amazing when someone posts on facebook on a night out 'having a great time... blah blah blah' if you're really having a great time, then why are you posting on facebook??!

jeltz

Veteran
My usage of Facebook is occasional communication and keeping up to date with the main things happening with my extended circle of friends that I don't otherwise regularly speak with.

As for the games I can't see the point. I did however think it would be funny to suggest an Abattoir game that you could use to connect both farmville and mafia wars :tongue:

If you want to know how bad it gets with people on FB just take a look at http://failbook.failblog.org/ to see the inane detritus that ends up there.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't use it and have no intentions of starting. I waste enough time on the net as it is and have happily lived 31 years without "social networking" (which in my eyes is what pubs are for).

It was reading this a while back which made me realise how incredibly sad some people are - My link

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My Facebook profile is heavily censored to maintain an image of me as a mature, sensible, professional and responsible role model for the youth of today.

The reality is very different of course.:biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My Facebook profile is heavily censored to maintain an image of me as a mature, sensible, professional and responsible role model for the youth of today.

The reality is very different of course.:biggrin:

But you couldn't be bothered to create such a smokescreen for CC then
biggrin.gif

zimzum42

Legendary Member
if you're really keen to get her off it, then take her away on holiday somewhere she won't be able to get on it. Plenty of places you can go where there is no connexion and the mobile providers don't offer the necessary web features on their networks

I go through phases where I'm on it too much but breaking up the pattern often means that when I get back to the UK I'm not on it so much of the time as I was before I left...

Top Bottom