Do you prefer panniers, backpack, messenger bag or something else for your commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Only cans, stubbies or half-crates? I think even my chunky porter rack is only rated to 10kg and a full crate of pint glass bottles would exceed that.

Full crate 24 x 33 cl bottles.

My son's rack is rated at 10 kg, but it can bear his 6'2" weight without creaking.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Still, image-wise the bag has baggage. Looking a it one way, t's a bit 'traditional' like something Norman Tebbit would approve. On the other hand, whenever I'm following a cyclist with a Nelson I feel reassured, relaxed and relatively confident of a level of competence.
It's not really designed for modern things like laptops but it carries them fine and with a bagman fitted you get this springy,bouncy support which is probably good for hard drives, microchips and that kind of stuff.
It keeps stuff dry.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I wouldn't ride near me then!!!

I'm still amazed at how dry they keep stuff though. Brought my laptop in through the rain this morning with not a drop of moisture on it.

prawny

SQR Slim for me too same as Dodgy, Tried messenger bags, backpacks and pannier(s) and this is what I've stuck with, clothes go in a bag for life, food in a sainsbury's carrier, wallet earphones and sundries in an old tesco carrier, got an old folding tyre and a couple of tubes stuffed in the bottom, easy enough to get out without removing everything. I've got a messenger bag at work for when I have to go to the Dental Hosptial (fairly regularly at the moment) but I don't like how the bike feels with the weight all up on my back, it takes a couple of days to get used to it, and I like to be able to add or remove layers en route. My commute is 20 miles each way, so conditions can change en route.

622630EC-EC27-468B-A108-9B442926BA2C.jpg

prawny

Just about secure enough, I only use a £3 lock to stop builders walking off with it.

Although the other week I got downstairs and workmen had unbolted and moved the whole rack so they could park a van there. So I'd not want to be leaving a decent bike down there.

Just fitted a Rixen Kaul plate to a Boardman pannier I picked up cheap last year when Halfords were clearing them out. Will give it a go this week

Attachments

• pannier1.jpg
    pannier1.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 76
  • pannier2.jpg
    pannier2.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 74
  • pannier3.jpg
    pannier3.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom