Do you sometimes feel sorry for your non - cycling colleagues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I have a colleague who is not coming in today because of the 'terrible roadworks' at the end of the street where our building is located. She lives 3 miles away and has decided to work from home instead to avoid the delays. At first I was a bit miffed as I had some stuff I need to talk through with her before tomorrow. But in reality I sort of think, blimey, how sad is that to not even be able to travel 3 miles without having to drive. I can't imagine living like that- it's almost like dealing with another species.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
3 miles. That's an hours walk.
FFS there is no excuse what so ever not to get to work if it's only 3 miles away. :cursing:
Unless they are off course not of able body.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Sounds like an excuse to "work from home". If it's that difficult couldn't she have parked on the other side of the roadworks and walked from there?

Yes could be she fancies a day at home. It's all resident's parking around there so she'd still have a walk. But she's able bodied and could walk it. I'd like to encourage her to cycle ,but I guess it would be a long haul, maybe with me accompanying her at first to show her how easy it is. Carrot rather than stick and all that!

(anyone know how to edit thread titles ? - there's a typo I'd like to change 'you' to 'your'. Never was good at spelllings)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes could be, it's all resident's parking around there. But she's able bodied and could walk it. I'd like to encourage her to cycle ,but I guess it would be a long haul, maybe with me accompanying her at first to show her how easy it is. Carrot rather than stick and all that!

(anyone know how to edit thread titles ? - there's a typo I'd like to remove 'you' to 'yours'. Never was good at spelllings)

Done.

What is her excuse not to walk?

Edge705

I have a colleague who is not coming in today because of the 'terrible roadworks' at the end of the street where our building is located. She lives 3 miles away and has decided to work from home instead to avoid the delays. At first I was a bit miffed as I had some stuff I need to talk through with her before tomorrow. But in reality I sort of think, blimey, how sad is that to not even be able to travel 3 miles without having to drive. I can't imagine living like that- it's almost like dealing with another species.

WFH (work from home) is becoming more the norm than the exception i do it from time to time when it suits i.e parcel delivery but blimey its lonely - I find it incredible that when anyone says they are working from home its followed by an excuse in order to justify doing it we all know it can be a bit of a scive but in reality you are still acountable for the work your tasked with.

IMO she shouldnt of even had to say the reason for working from home if she has the right to WFH as a work policy However if the company policy is WFH only in emergency's then perhaps you could calsss her prediciment as a feeble attempt.

Have to say if your lucky to have a job where WFH is accepted then it aint half handy on the other hand it can backfire last week i was on crutches yet expected/cojoled to still conduct my work from home I could have gone sick for the whole week but if they are prepared to be flexible with me then Its only right I try and adopt the same approach BTW there would be some micky taking at our place if she used that excuse

subaqua

What’s the point
3 miles. That's an hours walk.
FFS there is no excuse what so ever not to get to work if it's only 3 miles away. :cursing:
Unless they are off course not of able body.
February 2nd 2009 the monday after sundays heavy overnight snowfall no buses no tube no clear roads. I walked 6 miles into work. took 3 hours. in snow and cold.

you are right there is no excuse

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I feel sorry for people everywhere who haven't seen the light, and I am trying to convert them! :thumbsup:

Here's an excerpt from an encounter on a local mountain bike ride a few years back ...

Man in car, anxiously: "So, the only car park is here, and Hardcastle Crags visitor centre is a mile that way...?"

Me astride MTB, cheerfully: "Yes, there is a lovely walk to it through the woods, down by the river, just take that footpath."

Man in car, angrily: "Yeah, right, and just how am I bloody well supposed to get my kids there and back - he's 10 years old and she is only 8!"

400bhp

Guru
I rarely pity someone of able body/mind who has brought something upon themselves.

Scorn more like. ^_^

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I don't pity them, I just try to win them around and get them on a bike. We have a Boris Bike rack right outside of the office.

A few peeps are now cycling in, especially since we now have cycle to work (which I am thinking of using).

I feel sorry for people everywhere who haven't seen the light, and I am trying to convert them! :thumbsup:

Here's an excerpt from an encounter on a local mountain bike ride a few years back ...

Man in car, anxiously: "So, the only car park is here, and Hardcastle Crags visitor centre is a mile that way...?"

Me astride MTB, cheerfully: "Yes, there is a lovely walk to it through the woods, down by the river, just take that footpath."

Man in car, angrily: "Yeah, right, and just how am I bloody well supposed to get my kids there and back - he's 10 years old and she is only 8!"

This reminds me of when I first moved down to London and I was renting a house with friends and we found one, in budget near to the drama school.

When I asked the estate agent about the best walking route, he looked at me like I was mental (well, I am, but he didn't know this).

"You'd definitely need a car to get from there to there - It's a TWENTY MINUTE WALK!"

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I asked the estate agent about the best walking route, he looked at me like I was mental (well, I am, but he didn't know this) ...
Ha ha - I'm glad you said it, not me! :laugh:

I was very irritated by one person (of the many) who looked at me like I was mental and decided to confront him - "It's no use looking at me as if I'm an idiot just because I have the intelligence and wit to see through your bullshit and realise that you, in fact, are one!"

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
IMO she shouldnt of even had to say the reason for working from home if she has the right to WFH as a work policy However if the company policy is WFH only in emergency's then perhaps you could calsss her prediciment as a feeble attempt.

Yes we are v. lucky to have the choice to work from home where I work. I do myself sometimes. I guess my problem wasn't that so much, it was just that we had agreed to meet to go through some stuff I wanted to work through today in the office (all files so not easy by phone) and was a bit annoyed she decided not to come in - especially with such a lame reason! WFH is fine but I guess works best when your colleagues know your planned whereabouts in advance and you stick to those plans. (Flippin eck- that's the sort of thing my dad would say!)

Top Bottom