Do you think I'll make it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
My target for this year was to cycle 3,000 miles.
Last year I cycled 2,505 miles.
This year so far I have only cycles 2,525 miles. More than last year I suppose.

So I have 475 miles to cycle this month if I am to meet my target. If you take away 4 days for when Mr Plax & I are in Cardiff for a long weekend, then another 2 days for Christmas and Boxing Day that leaves me with 25 potential cycling days, 17 of which are commuting days.

475 miles - 25 days equates to 19 miles a day. My commute is only 8 miles in total so I have to try and tag an extra 11 miles on each day unless I cycle some longer miles at weekends.

So bearing in mind the horrendous weather we have been getting, and feeling tired/lazy at the end of the working day, do you think I'm actually going to make it?

JiMBR

I for one think that you WILL make it. ;)

An average of an extra 11 miles a day is definitely doable.

And if you do a couple of longer weekend rides, the average will come down quite a bit.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Plax said:
I have to try and tag an extra 11 miles on each day unless I cycle some longer miles at weekends.

So bearing in mind the horrendous weather we have been getting, and feeling tired/lazy at the end of the working day, do you think I'm actually going to make it?

Nope, nyet, nada, nei, Nein, no-way-Jose

Its not gonna happen...sorry

(although you could try that little bit more just to prove me wrong;))

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Unfortunately no..
Looks like you have resigned yourself to the fact that you wont.
Sorry 'bout that Plax.

But I sincerely hope you do.. so less of the excuses get on your bike and go for it & get those extra miles in.. prove me wrong. ;)

HobbesChoice

Plax said:

It all depends on you and how much you want to. Will you regret it on 01 Jan if you don't, knowing you came so close?

However, I still think congratulations are in order at having beaten last year's record best.

leyton condor

Veteran
It seems quite a lot extra to do on top of your commute.Unless you do a few nice long cycles over the festive season.
If you don't there is always next year, and congratulations on beating last years record.

Llongyfarchiadau

jpembroke

Plax said:
My target for this year was to cycle 3,000 miles.
Last year I cycled 2,505 miles.
This year so far I have only cycles 2,525 miles. More than last year I suppose.

So I have 475 miles to cycle this month if I am to meet my target. If you take away 4 days for when Mr Plax & I are in Cardiff for a long weekend, then another 2 days for Christmas and Boxing Day that leaves me with 25 potential cycling days, 17 of which are commuting days.

Cycle to Cardiff?

Lizban

Why not cycle Christmas morning to try out any cycling related gifts of course!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Diolch am y Llongyfarchiadau Leyton!

I think I've already floundered on the first day. The wind was awful on the way home, some nasty side winds, so I took another route home through the village before mine thinking at least I'd be off the main road and away from the cars (I find it hard to see in the dark when it rains because of the glare from the headlights refelcting on my glasses). The wind was head on then which made it even harder! So just 8 miles today.

I'm going to plan B - 17 days of 8 miles = 136 miles. Leaving 339 miles. Divide this by the 8 remaining non-working days leaves me having to do just over 42 miles on each of those days. If I do take a few little detours after work here and there then that will go towards reducing the 42 miles on the non working days.

So I'm going to have a darn good try at meeting my target but realisticly I don't expect to, so won't be too hard on myself if I don't. Nothing is impossible though as they say.......

467 miles and counting........

boydj

Legendary Member
Funnily enough, I passed the 3000 miles mark for the year on my way home today. I've got an 18 mile round trip commute, but only three days a week. A lot of miles were accumulated in training for the Trossachs Ton in June and since then I've made a point of doing at least one longer run a week with a minimum of 20 miles. Funny how the cycling bug gets under your skin.

neslon

19 miles a day is not really much of an ask. I do that as my shortest route and at the moment on a full-suss (see various bike crisis posts). In spring and summer, its extended to 40 or more. As for the weather, pah!

Top Bottom