Do you use "social media" - you know Facebook, blogs, twitter and all that?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Krypton

I like visiting cyclechat and use a couple of other forum sites regularly - but I'm not on Facebook or Twitter, and don't have a blog; mainly because I'd never find the time to keep on top of them all.

A colleague spends her entire lunch break hunched over her monitor on Facebook replying to all her friends - she's got masses of them - and regularly overshoots her break time because she is so engrossed in what she's doing. Is it really that captivating?

And Twitter just seems like a list of sound bites to me. There's nothing of substance to what's being said on there. I just can't get into it because I want to discuss and talk about things, and you can't really do that to any depth on Twitter.

How do people manage it?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am on Facebook. Joined to keep in touch with Ianrauk jnr.. as that's his preferable method of communication these days. Twitter, I know what it is (I think) but don't know how it works and don't think that I will ever use it. A Blog? Don't have one of those either, but do like to read a few others.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
On Facebook as I have quite a few friends abroad, mainly in SE Asia as it's easier to keep in touch with them.

I've never had a problem with security, just adjust the settings on your profile and that seems to do the trick

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have Facebook but a mere (goes off to look it up ...) 21 friends and only a few of them use it very much. I find it a useful way of sharing photos (with both Facebook friends and also friends/family not on there) and finding out little bits that are going on in their lives and sharing information - for example discussion of choosing 6th form places is going on ... and its good to be able to share the information since our children at that age aren't always the best at telling us what's going on ... so we share the snippets that we find out.

I don't do Twitter ...

And don't do any internet surfing whilst at work ... and neither do my friends so there isn't any point going and looking at Facebook during the day as probably no one will have posted anything.

Leah

Facebook, twitter and a neglected blog.

Facebook I can keep in touch with friends and family, twitter I can keep in touch with close friends about more day to day stuff (ie, my boss has annoyed me etc)

My blog has been neglected but I have some ideas to get it all started again.

mark barker

I love facebook, it gives me the chance to keep up with my extended group of friends that would otherwise have drifted off never to be heard from again... Maybe no great loss, but its not really much effort to comment on their status occasionally either. Quite a few of my friends tweet & keep blogs, but I've never seen my life as interesting enough for constant updates!

I've never really understood the "security" issues with these kind of sites. Sure, people can get my email address, and they can find out my name and date of birth. But... These are all things that are in the public domain anyway. As for my comments, I make a point of not saying anything online that I wouldn't be willing to say in any other public place, so I'm not overly bothered by that either.

yello

Nope, to be honest I just don't get the whole (internet based) social networking thing. Chatting with friends and family on the phone, sure, or exchanging emails but not tweets etc. It is genuinely one of those things that makes me feel like I am the other side of a generation gap, like I've become my father (not just becoming him).

I recognise it's purpose and popularity but it's just not for me. Leaves me non-plussed, bemused even. I'm not a SMS or texter either. I don't claim holier-than-thou over it, nor even succumb to Luddite tendencies, just simply have no desire to engage with it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Facebook and a couple of forums. I have a couple of websites, for art and for cycling. All useful in their place. If I started a blog it would quickly descend into drivel or, more likely, I'd get bored and abandon it.

gavintc

Guru
My cycle club releases information of rides and training on Facebook. it is the only way I get advance information of club info. They send a final text the night before, but if you want advance warning - you need to be on Facebook. Not a problem for me, you just need to keep an eye on the levels of details provided to a wider audience.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Nope, to be honest I just don't get the whole (internet based) social networking thing. Chatting with friends and family on the phone, sure, or exchanging emails but not tweets etc. It is genuinely one of those things that makes me feel like I am the other side of a generation gap, like I've become my father (not just becoming him).

I recognise it's purpose and popularity but it's just not for me. Leaves me non-plussed, bemused even. I'm not a SMS or texter either. I don't claim holier-than-thou over it, nor even succumb to Luddite tendencies, just simply have no desire to engage with it.

Yep, i could have typed the same...I'm a big user of online content and do most of my work via online resource and communication, CC is my indulgence, I don't have time for more than that. Texts are my pet hate as they're irritating, I don't use them much, will tend toactually call someone for a chat.

By the way, I've seen a couple of mobile phone ads recently and noticed that the one thing not shown is anyone making a phone call.

Top Bottom