Does anyone work in recruitment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
I seem to hit a wall whenever I come across a recriuitment agency - I don't know why (but would like to!).

I can usually find a number of vacancies along the lines of instrumentation/ installation/ comission/ calibration, test repair etc etc. Although I worked in telecomms/Satcom, this could transfer to medical/ power plant/ SCADA etc

E-mail generally goes unanswered, as do phone calls, and as the agencies won't give out client details, contacting them direct can be a problem.

Maybe the problem is me, but if it is I'd like to know so that maybe I can do something about it.

Any hints or tips?

Thanks.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's not you. Agencies tend to focus their attentions on a few lucrative "permanent temporary" workers that might bring in £20 or £30 an hour for them and are next to no admin work. They mostly aren't interested in truely temporary workers.

Greedo

I used to be a recruitment consultant.

It is a very candidate heavy market at the moment I would imagine, so it will be hard to get noticed. All the consultants will be busy finding jobs from clients they can fill.

I'd advise picking one that have a few jobs you can do.
Phone the consultant who's dealing with it. If their name is not on the ad, call the recruitment company direct and ask who deals with the type of vacancies you are interested in.

Call that consultant direct if you don't get them first time keep trying, and basically have a chat saying what you're looking for. They'll ask for your CV but before you send it tell them you'd like a call back at an agreed time to discuss what they think of it. If they don't call back you are a poor candidate or they are shite.

Then go and meet them. If you're a good quality candidate they'll probably suggest this and then take it from there as you'll now have a relationship. From there on in just keep in contact at arranged times. If you call them 20 times per day they'll just think you're a pain in the arse.

Hope that helps in some way

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Greedo said:
I used to be a recruitment consultant.

Call that consultant direct if you don't get them first time keep trying, and basically have a chat saying what you're looking for. They'll ask for your CV but before you send it tell them you'd like a call back at an agreed time to discuss what they think of it. If they don't call back you are a poor candidate or they are shite.

What I'm finding is that the consultant is almost always unavailable. The person answering will ask me to send my CV and that the consultant will get back to me (Which they rarely do). I asked one in particular if we could discuss my CV but she wasn't interested in discussing it with me.

I'll take your advice and withold it next time.

Cheers.

Top Bottom