Does having a "ladies" bike make a difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben M

My mum is looking to get a bike for doing some rides on towpaths and round the lanes to get a bit fitter and lose weight. As such it'll be a hybrid/ commuter bike that she gets (probably second hand, the cheaper the better really, maybe only up to ~£150 or so).

Does a ladies bike have a different geometry that is going to make much difference, she thinks that the pedal position on a ladies bike relative to the saddle on a ladies bike is better for a ladies pelvis. I'm not so sure, but have no experience of the matter. Would it be better just to buy a men's hybrid and get the stem/seatpost/saddle adjusted to her dimensions by a bike shop?

Many thanks.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My mum is looking to get a bike for doing some rides on towpaths and round the lanes to get a bit fitter and lose weight. As such it'll be a hybrid/ commuter bike that she gets (probably second hand, the cheaper the better really, maybe only up to ~£150 or so).

Does a ladies bike have a different geometry that is going to make much difference, she thinks that the pedal position on a ladies bike relative to the saddle on a ladies bike is better for a ladies pelvis. I'm not so sure, but have no experience of the matter. Would it be better just to buy a men's hybrid and get the stem/seatpost/saddle adjusted to her dimensions by a bike shop?

Many thanks.

Some have lowered top tubes to make stepping over the bike easier. Others are slightly shorted. (I'm sure Funny Mummy needs one like that :tongue:). Others are just in "female colours". I believe the most important difference is the saddle. Others will soon be along to put me right I am sure.

tyred

Legendary Member
Traditionally, they were slightly shorter in the frame, I have no idea if that is still the case.

carolonabike

I don't know whether you mean a ladies bike (as in a step through frame) but I have a Trek Lexa and I have found having a women's specific geometry has made a definite difference in terms of comfort.

A lot depends upon the individual. Mine has a shorter stem, narrower handlebars and shallow drops which make it easier to reach the brakes. This suits me perfectly as I'm quite small.

lesley_x

Über Member
I ride a mans road bike with a mans saddle and it fits me like a glove to be honest. Just put some shims in for my tiny lady hands to reach the brakes. I test rode woman's and mens bikes, just depends what fits you best!

apollo179

Hi - as a bloke who has extensive experience of riding womens bikes i would say that there are definitely geometric differences - seat is closer to the handlebars , womens bikes tend to have handlebars lower ime. Best bet would be to let mum try a variety and take it from there.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Ladies Bike V Mans Bike - Simples :biggrin:

Attachments

• claud-butler-boulevard-2011-traditional-ladies-bike-fully-assembled-free-delivery--3893-p.jpg
    claud-butler-boulevard-2011-traditional-ladies-bike-fully-assembled-free-delivery--3893-p.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 090221_TT_bike_Solvang_IMG_5283.jpg
    090221_TT_bike_Solvang_IMG_5283.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 25

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend

Many thanks.

This bit is simply untrue, being dependent on the specific frame geometry and crank length.

What makes the difference is that female specific frames are often geared towards a relatively shorter torso/longer legs than male specific frames. I ride "men's" bikes, always have and they fit me fine. The best thing you can do, as others have already said, is try and few and see what works best. Don't let a shop sell you a WSD just because there's a woman involved -- they often have cheaper components for the same price as the men's version and come in stupid colours like powder pink.

Sam

abo

In my defence my first womans bike got stolen and the second ive just sold so i am now using a mans bike. Curiously nobody ever commented "thats a girls bike that is".

Ah, the talk of 'ladies bikes' just somehow reminded me of this clip from the Mary Whitehouse Experience, and my University days :biggrin:

Top Bottom