Does training affect your mood?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
Hello guys. I've only been cycling since April this year and I'm really enjoying it. I got my self a second hand turbo trainer a couple of months ago and I'm getting on it 3 times a week. I've nerver really trained this much for any sport and I havent really changed what I eat or drink but already there is a massive difference my my power and I have lost a good bit of weight too. What I have found though is that I'm really grumpy at the weekends. My life is exactly the same as it was 'pre turbo' the only thing is; my new found grumpyness. I dont like it. Is there anyone else who has had the same feelings? Is it possible that my training is actually having an adverse effect on my mind?

Any suggestions will be greatfuly recieved, cheers.

P.s. The fact that the turbo trainer has caused a turf war with the missis over the kitchen doesnt help much.

Usually exercise will make you happier as far as I'm aware. Something to do with the release of endorphines or something like that.

With regards to the turf war over the kitchen. People can be very possessive over their kitchens. I know if Mrs. EMD was planning on putting a peice of exercise equipment in MY kitchen, she would have another thing coming. Can't you put it else where, or get rid of it and just go out for a real cycle?

jimboalee

Yep.

Rigorous physical exercise causes the release of adrenaline. Only if you push yourself “over the wall” do you produce endorphins, the body’s own pain killer.
If any have been on a treadmill in the gym, and got through an hour at 10kmh, all of a sudden your legs become light as a feather and you can run for another hour, that’s the endorphins. They're addictive.!!!

Not only does the body release adrenaline, it stimulates the release of serotonin which is the ‘pixie dust’ in our brain.
Anti depressants, or SSRIs are Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. Happy tabs.

Short term shots of serotonin followed by reuptake is like having withdrawal symptoms from Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

You say you could be in your Missus’ bad books. Subconsciously, you don’t want to upset her, and that’s getting you upset. The sudden loss of pixie dust will make this seem worse.

Please don’t do what I did and end up in a divorce. If you are pleased the turbo is getting your weight off and your legs more powerful, take a week off and treat her to a night out. Show her the turbo is LESS important than she is.

mr Mag00

rising member
hmmm training in the kitchen surely way too warm!!! yh training should produce an over better feeling of well being i suspect the turf war is to balme maybe underlying problems elsewhere. i am like a kiddy in a candy shop when i get in sometimes in fact she says its too much!! im too giggly!!

Great that you're doing more exercise and gaining the health results. However, are you getting enough sleep? You will need more sleep as this is when the body rebuilds and repairs. When I was a serious triathlete (as opposed to a frivolous one) I'd usually be in bed by 9pm. Have a look at your sleep patterns and amounts, as you may just be depriving yourself of rest and recovery.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm... exercising makes me happy, awake etc... but I'm not planted in the kitchen..

I commute mainly, with weekend training sessions. Do you have a garage or somewhere else to turbo ?

I find I need as cool an environment as possible to go on the turbo - i.e. the garage mid winter with a fan on full blast to keep me cool, and even then there is a wet patch on the floor....

I hate Turbo's - you are better off out there on the roads - get kitted out for night riding...... you'll be happy !

User269

As a general rule, regular excercise leads to impoved mood and general well being. However, from time to time me and one of my regular training buddies find that we feel grumpy, aggressive and irritable. I imagine it's a combination of hormones and fatigue plus the other thing that effects me quite a lot; every thing is too slow and physically undemanding! I go ape in crowded places like supermarkets 'cos I can't believe how slowly lots of people walk and move around generally. It's like I'm a boy racer with road rage. Except there's no road. Or car. And I'm not a boy.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Eat MY Dust said:
Usually exercise will make you happier as far as I'm aware. Something to do with the release of endorphines or something like that.

With regards to the turf war over the kitchen. People can be very possessive over their kitchens. I know if Mrs. EMD was planning on putting a peice of exercise equipment in MY kitchen, she would have another thing coming. Can't you put it else where, or get rid of it and just go out for a real cycle?

TBH there isnt a REAL turf war per se. More of a rolling of the eyes and laughing at me when she walks into the kitchen to see the man she will spend the rest of her life with; red faced, gasping for air, snotty nosed, farting and groaning while in the middle of an interval session. It's not the prettiest picture. :smile:

I'd love to get out of the house to go for a real ride but she works 2/3 nights per week so I try to restrict my training to these times (so I can stay in with the kids) and unfortunatley the kitchen is the only place with a wipe clean floor. My god the amount of sweat!

Ravenz

Balance... thats whats important.. I have resonance about not letting a relationship suffer because of 'training' .. but back to mood enhancement... I attend Yoga classes and they are almost the antidote to those nasty free radicals that get let loosed by intense exercise.. you have to put your alpha male manbag to oneside tho to appreciate them ..:smile:;):smile:;)

jimboalee said:
Please don’t do what I did and end up in a divorce. If you are pleased the turbo is getting your weight off and your legs more powerful, take a week off and treat her to a night out. Show her the turbo is LESS important than she is.

You got divorced over your turbo trainer. That must of been one really nice turbo!!

Top Bottom