Dog Breeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pes

Does anyone know how long a border terrier bitch is receptive for after she comes into season?
When is the best time to take her to the dog and how long should she be left for?

Honest, not taking the waz, this is a serious question.

Noodley

I'll ask my M-i-L, she's a doggy person; she's the puppy registrar for Cairn Terriers in the UK so she should know.

OP
OP
pes

pes

Noodley said:
I'll ask my M-i-L, she's a doggy person; she's the puppy registrar for Cairn Terriers in the UK so she should know.

Cheers Noodes.

Noodley

Reply to e-mail:

"How long is a piece of string?

Seriously - she will usually be receptive after about 10 days. Tell him to try pressing lightly on her back just on front of her tail. If she turns her tail that's a good sign. Try her with the dog about 10 days but the dog's owner should know if she is ready.

As to how long she should be left - that is for the dog's owner to decide really. If local take her every day till she stands. If too far. take her at 10 days and leave her till she is mated.

How old is the bitch? Why does he want to breed pups? Where did he get the bitch? Where is he going to for a stud? Does he have prospective homes for his puppies? These - and umpteen others are questions I would ask but of course its really none of my business I guess."

So basically, do it properly rather than making a f***ing arse of it. My advice: contact the breed society and speak to people in the know. I own cats and dogs from really good breeding stock (UK Champions) but would not even contemplate breeding as I do not know enough.

longers

Legendary Member
I was going to offer to ask my sister and she would have asked exactly the same questions as Mrs Noodleys Mum.

Is your dog in season now? It might be best to let this one pass and go and find a really good stud, look at some of his pups etc but it depends what you're after.

MichaelM

Guru
I'm going to get on my high horse here.

I've got a dog that was given up at 4 months of age as it wasn't going to be successful in the show ring, and a second that was abandoned at 9 years of age.

At the moment I'm fostering a third (13 week old) until a permanent home can be found for him.

If you need to ask on a cycling forum when is the best time to take her to the dog and how long should she be left for, I'd suggest you shouldn't be looking to breed from your bitch. There are too many unwanted animals around as it is.

Noodley

MichaelM said:
If you need to ask on a cycling forum when is the best time to take her to the dog and how long should she be left for, I'd suggest you shouldn't be looking to breed from your bitch.

There is a wide range of knowledge beyond cycling and I think we have given appropriate advice.

MichaelM

Guru
Noodley said:
There is a wide range of knowledge beyond cycling.........

I do agree with you there.

Noodley said:
....and I think we have given appropriate advice.

I disagree.

There are too many unwanted dogs in rescue centres/dog pounds throughout the country as it is. I don't think it's a good idea to be offering up advice that may lead to an increase in this number.

Noodley

MichaelM said:
I disagree.

There are too many unwanted dogs in rescue centres/dog pounds throughout the country as it is. I don't think it's a good idea to be offering up advice that may lead to an increase in this number.

The advice was "do it properly rather than making a f***ing arse of it. My advice: contact the breed society and speak to people in the know."

longers

Legendary Member
MichaelM said:

You're right but Pez isn't daft, he's got a Border Terrier. I've yet to meet a numpty with one of them.
I've met some some right sorts but never a numpty.

You'll be keeping the waif and stray then MrM?

OP
OP
pes

pes

Thanks for the replies guys.
The bitch belongs to my uncle who lives in Scotland and she is three years old. The dog has a good pedigree and we are having the pick of the litter. All other prospective puppies are spoken for.

Mike, this is an any subject section of a cycling forum. Don't worry pal, whatever it is, you will get over it.

MichaelM

Guru
pes said:
The dog has a good pedigree and we are having the pick of the litter. All other prospective puppies are spoken for.

Have you pre ordered the exact number required? How many are spoken for? What if you don't have enough pups? Would you breed from the same bitch again? What if there are too many pups? What will you do with the remainder?

Will the puppies have their kennel club registrations endorsed with:-

1. Progeny not eligible for registration

2. Not eligible for export pedigree.

Or do you not know or even care about that?

pes said:
Don't worry pal, whatever it is, you will get over it.

When the day comes that young pups
2009_0423beardayout0005.jpg

Bear, 13 weeks old and in need of a new home - see B.C.R.S.

are no longer being abandoned as they were placed in unsuitable homes by uncaring breeders, and older dogs often in need of treatment and/or medication are no longer being abandoned by their owners,

2009_0423beardayout0013.jpg

Abandoned at 9 years of age

when breeding bitches are no longer being given up as they've served their purpose, and when there is no longer a need for thousands of dogs to be put to be put to sleep each year, when that day comes, maybe I'll get over it - pal.

Not that I suppose any of that will bother you when the going rate for a pup with a good pedigree is around £500 a go.

B.C.R.S.

GSD Scotland

PADS

SSPCA

Second Chance Kennels

Dog Pages

And that's just the rescues up here in Scotland.

OP
OP
pes

pes

Have you pre ordered the exact number required? - Just having one.
How many are spoken for? - All of them.
What if you don't have enough pups? - Someone will go without a puppy.
Would you breed from the same bitch again? - Uncles dog so not sure.
What if there are too many pups? - Tie rest in a bag and dump in river.
What will you do with the remainder? - ditto.

Will the puppies have their kennel club registrations endorsed with:-

1. Progeny not eligible for registration - don't know.

2. Not eligible for export pedigree. - don't know.

Or do you not know or even care about that? Course I care.

My son, who the puppy is for, is now bricking himself that we might not get one after all. We simply did not realise the amount of red tape that one has to go through.
Shame that similar restrictions don't apply to 12 year old human dogs and bitches!

Top Bottom