Dog carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimGJ

Apologies for the cross-posting. I originally put this in the Welcome Mat section, but it's probably more appropriate here...

Hello there. I have decided to take up (fair-weather, leisure) cycling after a break of about 30 years on the basis that it has to be more interested than going to the gym and I need to do something to work off all the pies.

So I've been to my local cycle dealership (Harry Hall's in Manchester) where I've seen a hybrid bike I like (a Trek 7.3). My constant companion is a West Highland White terrier, Snowy. She's about 9 kg in weight and stands about 25 cm high at the withers. I would therefore like a basket in which she could accompany me.

The staff at Halls have recommended Basil animal carrying baskets. These are in wicker and so I'm therefore under no illusions as to how butch this is all going to look as it is straight out of The Wizard of Oz. But there are various sizes of basket: 50 x 42 x 33 cm and 40 x 32 x 29 cm.

So, I'd welcome any advice anyone has with dog-baskets in general and Basil ones in particular. But specifically, does anyone have any experience of transporting a Westie-sized dog and if so what size basket would you recommend? Also does the Basil - or any other make you might care to recommend - have a short lead or similar with which to secure the dog in the basket?

bottombracket

Before I start - I have no experience of carrying dogs on my bike (theres a bad sexist joke in there - let's not go there...).
BUT
There is a wire-frame cover available for the medium Basil basket

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/basil/space-frame-for-wicker-dog-rear-basket-ec019315?query=dog

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have seen dogs carried in cycle trailers, but I don't remember seeing on carried on a pannier rack, do you have any pictures?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I have a feeling that Aperitif of this forum may possibly have used a basket for his Jack Russell terrier - you could perhaps send him a Private Message to ask about it.

On the other hand I may be mistaken and may have assumed that the doughty Jack lowers himself to being transported au velo when he expects a far worthier carriage.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My neighbour has a front basket for her Norfolk Terrier, and I do not know the make.

My only advice, as someone else suggested, is to get a lid so the little monster doesn't do a runner halfway down the road. We own a small terrier ourselves, and he is a little bugger, so I speak from experience rather than prejudice.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I have a miniature Schnauzer that weighs about 10kg, wouldn't fancy carrying the fat sod on the bike, been toying with the idea of a trailer for a while now.

bikingtom

I've been considering a bike basket for my tripehound - it's keeping him in it that worries me so thanks for all the advice - I shall now follow all leads (no pun intended).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If the dog is not happy riding in a basket on the bars, a trailer might be more appropriate, if the dog is on a lead tied to the trailer it can jump out and run along side if it wants to.

Top Bottom