Dog fangs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ant

Does anyone have any particular views on these? Are they a total waste or a good little 'just in case' bit of kit?

My last bike came with one fitted, but my current one doesn't and I'm thinking of getting one. Worth the effort or not?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ant said:
Does anyone have any particular views on these? Are they a total waste or a good little 'just in case' bit of kit?

My last bike came with one fitted, but my current one doesn't and I'm thinking of getting one. Worth the effort or not?
I'm sure that someone will drop in and tell you that they are not necessary if you adjust your bike properly, to which I reply in anticpation - "Why are so many pro mechanics fitting them to team bikes then?"

They don't cost much, they don't weigh much, they aren't particularly noticeable unless you look for them so they don't spoil the appearance of your bike and they do what they are supposed to do.

I fitted one to my Basso recently after dropping my chain 3 times in one ride. (And yes, the bike was set up properly!) It always seems to happen when you least want it to - 50 metres up a steep climb for instance. Since I fitted it, I have not had any more problems

I did a very tough hilly ride yesterday (Spring Into The Dales) and it was such a luxury not having to concern myself about dropping the chain. I could power my way into the steep climbs in a big gear and get some way up them before having to change down, but confident that I could get my lower gear without grinding to a halt because my chain had fallen off.

100% recommended!

OP
OP
A

Ant

Thanks ColinJ. Pretty much my thoughts as well. I can't see any harm in sticking one on so I've just ordered one.

mr Mag00 said:
being dim how do they work?

They fit on to the tube down by the front crank and provide a small physical barrier to the chain going too far toward the left and jumping off.

Top Bottom