Dolan Aurora UltegraSL - any comments?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ashtons99

Im in the market for a bike up to 2k. Ive looked through the full list of usual suspects but this one seems to stand out as value for money, british built (sort of)and with 3yrs 0% interest at Formby cycles. Im not wanting to do any serious racing just a nice performing/looking/spec bike for group runs etc.
Has anyone any experience of the Dolan bikes or indeed formby cycles and their finance packages

Ant

I've no experience with them, unfortunately.

What I will say, however, for what it's worth: Is that if you're not doing any serious competition riding then you're probably wasting your money spending two grand on a bicycle. You can get a very good looking, very good performing bike which will suit your needs perfectly for about half that.

Of course, it's your money and you're free to spend it how you want but the fact that you're asking about finance suggest that you haven't just got 2K lying around. I'd seriously think about looking at something around the £1200 mark instead.

I picked up a custom built bike a few weeks ago. It looks gorgeous, performs well and is exactly fitted to my size and needs, and only cost me just under £1200 all together.

RedBike

If you want Ultegra / Dura-ace parts on a top end carbon frame then you're probably going to be looking at the 2k (or over!) mark. Quality costs.

It 'might' also be worth looking at a hand-made frame. You can have it specd / painted however you wanted so thats the good looking box ticked.
The weight difference between a high end steel frame and a carbon frame probably isn't as much as you'd think. You're probably only talking about 100g -300g. (About the weight of your bottle cages!)

OP
OP
A

ashtons99

Thanks for your comments folks. I accept that for what i want 2k is perhaps buying a bike beyond my needs but i do like decent stuff. I asked about the finance as they are offering interest free which has to be a good deal and better than forking out my own 'cash'.
I have seen a planet x carbon bike today which looks good vfm too.

perhaps i need a closer look at them. i just wondered if anyone on here had any experience of the dolans.

peanut

take a look in this months cycling + they review about 32 road race bikes around the £1000+ mark and pretty good it is too

OP
OP
A

ashtons99

peanut said:
take a look in this months cycling + they review about 32 road race bikes around the £1000+ mark and pretty good it is too

Yes ive looked at that and the Giant does come out glowing, Ive had a look at it and its no doubt wonderful but the b&w paint scheme does nothing for me. They have put together a great bike for the money let down (in my op) by a dull paint certainly when carbon gel finishes provide a world of colour options.

Im going to take a look at dolan, ribble, trek, felt and a few comparible makes when i can get west of the pennines

Top Bottom