Domestic property CCTV set-up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Leaving aside the data protection/GDPR side of the debate (if there is any), I am toying with the idea of installing some kind of CCTV system at Skol Towers.

I'm not massively worried about security, don't have a burglar alarm as I believe they are next to useless and mostly ignored, but have had a number of minor incidents in the last year or two that make me think it might be worth recording what is going-on on the driveway and at the Fr & Rr doors. Mostly to cover the cars as this is where the problems have occurred.

My thoughts are two cameras at the front to cover the front door and driveway from both sides, a camera at the back/kitchen door covering door and towards the rear (locked) gate and finally a camera inside the house in my bike room. There are 3 concerns I want to cover;
  1. Interference with vehicles. Twice in the last year I have had things taken from the back of my old landrover, and once my wife's car interior was rummaged through, they took some loose change and were perhaps looking to see if there was a spare key? As this car is almost always habitually locked it has got me wondering how often the car doors are actually being tried if they happened to get in on the rare occasion it hadn't been locked?
  2. Burglary for bicycles, I have a few decent ones so these may well have been clocked by local magpies?
  3. Burglary for car keys. We don't have attractive cars of the high performance German saloon or bank-job rally special type but my old landrover has a reputation for being stolen for parts!
I want a camera system suitable for the following.
  • Recording footage that might identify a 'career' thief who enters the house for bicycles or car keys.
  • Monitor petty interference with the cars (trying door handles etc) to gauge how frequently this is happening and if further action is necessary.
Initial search for a DIY install option has turned up these:-

www.screwfix.com/p/swann-swdvk-845804-uk-8-channel-1080p-cctv-dvr-kit-4-cameras/1394X?

www.aldi.co.uk/1080p-4-hd-camera-home-cctv-kit/p/011860271175400?

I would prefer something discreet, don't really want all and sundry knowing it is there, might make them think I have something worth stealing :laugh:
Would probably end up painting the camera casings black to try and hide them against the black soffits and gutters unless there is a better, less visible option.

So, over to you guys. Any suggestions or experience in fitting/using such CCTV systems? Any one in the trade that can give me any hints or tips on best practice or kit?

Joffey

Big Dosser
I have a Nest outdoor CCTV that covers the garage and back garden. They are about £150 per camera but super easy to use and set up. I pay £4 per month for cloud storage of the footage for 7 days. Oh, you get smartphone notifications when someone appears on camera.

tom73

Guru
I don't know enough to advise on the type of set up. But can help with the coverage our neighbour had real issues with his camper van attacked with paint stripper off and on for mouths. When he set his up the police advised him to make sure the camera clearly covered the approach to the property. Not just the property it makes for better/ sounder evidence. It's much harder to challenge by the defence than just showing someone once they reach your door.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have some super cheap camera that give me alerts/clips on my phone and store to an sd card in the device (obvious no good if they nick the camera). I am too tight to pay for the cloud storage, but the clips I get are enough. I can also look on on the camera any time I want. I have one in the garage (for the bikes) one in the hall and one on the driveway.

These ones inside - but they only cost me £15 each
This one outside - for £40

I am more than happy with them.

tom73

Guru
One idea for home made smart system. How's Skol jur coding skills ? A Raspberry Pi and a few CCTV kits and your up and running

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We have one similar to the Swann in your link. Actually a Lorex system, 2 Lorex cameras, but also picked up 2 Swann cameras as they use the same wires (were on offer - Maplin)

Just bear in mind the wiring. I ran 3 cameras from my detached garage, but had to run 1 wire round the side of the house to the front. The garage cameras (x3) covers side garden, drive and rear garden.

It's important considering where the recorder is. You may need cat5 to it from the router, or, like I did, use Power line adapters.

You can access remotely as well - I often use it to check when my son has left for college.

In reality the 1TB drive stores around two weeks of 24h HD footage from 4 cameras. You'll need a spare monitor to set the recorder up, but you can remove it after.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Also, bear in mind, higher up, less easy to see faces (i.e. 2nd floor height).
Already thought of that. Hoodies and caps will render high location cameras useless for I.D but not for seeing what is going on. Lower ones might capture faces but are vulnerable to being damaged if they want to visit once to take out CCTV and then return to commit a crime later?

To be honest, I am reluctant to go down this route as it is not good for my inner paranoia, but the alternative is to do nothing and just accept the increase in minor crime and continue as we are and that option just doesn't seem to lead anywhere nice.....

Brains

Legendary Member
Nest is your answer.
https://nest.com/uk/

Not the cheapest solution, but probably the best of the lower cost DIY solutions.
The main advantages are:
The system is compatible with your smoke alarm, door bell, CCTV, etc., so if you like it, you can add to it
The system allows you to access via your smart phone,
It has automatic alerts to your smart phone if an alarm goes off or movement is spotted where there should be no movement
Which means you can monitor what is going on outside whilst you are at work, in bed, on holiday or whatever

(It's also compatible with your house thermostat, which is surprisingly useful and allows you to remote control your heating, thereby the system actually pays for itself in savings)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Already thought of that. Hoodies and caps will render high location cameras useless for I.D but not for seeing what is going on. Lower ones might capture faces but are vulnerable to being damaged if they want to visit once to take out CCTV and then return to commit a crime later?

To be honest, I am reluctant to go down this route as it is not good for my inner paranoia, but the alternative is to do nothing and just accept the increase in minor crime and continue as we are and that option just doesn't seem to lead anywhere nice.....

Footage from a high location of a hooded criminal can be of use in a prosecution.

I've seen cases where the suspect is tracked by other cameras making his way to the crime location with his hood down.

The hood goes up just before he enters the premises.

The images taken together - hood down nearby, hood up on scene - can be enough to convict.

Even if you have hood up only footage, the shape and gait of the suspect can nail him, as can clothing.

Few burglars dispose of everything - including shoes - they were wearing.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Both my neighbours have been burgled.
And a few other houses in the road plus cars over the last 20 yrs.

All the houses that hav a burglar alarm and good car security have be trouble free.

Burglars don't like bright light and noise.
Fit an alarm.. I have a cheap one, chub that I fitted myself in about 2000...£200 so it doesn't need to cost a lot.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nest is your answer.
https://nest.com/uk/

Not the cheapest solution, but probably the best of the lower cost DIY solutions.
The main advantages are:
The system is compatible with your smoke alarm, door bell, CCTV, etc., so if you like it, you can add to it
The system allows you to access via your smart phone,
It has automatic alerts to your smart phone if an alarm goes off or movement is spotted where there should be no movement
Which means you can monitor what is going on outside whilst you are at work, in bed, on holiday or whatever

(It's also compatible with your house thermostat, which is surprisingly useful and allows you to remote control your heating, thereby the system actually pays for itself in savings)

I think the main advantage with Nest is it's WIFI and easier to install as there aren't the wires, and the unified 'system' app.

The standard systems all do remote alerts, access via smart phone or pc, from where ever in the world.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Footage from a high location of a hooded criminal can be of use in a prosecution.
I've seen cases where the suspect is tracked by other cameras making his way to the crime location with his hood down.
The hood goes up just before he enters the premises.
The images taken together - hood down nearby, hood up on scene - can be enough to convict.
Even if you have hood up only footage, the shape and gait of the suspect can nail him, as can clothing.
I have seen vidio of a couple of scumbags breaking into cars. Easy to identify. But the police did not want to know.
^^^^ This. Unless it is a particularly violent crime, murder, or a car theft that was then used in a bank raid or similar, I wouldn't expect the police to be trawling local CCTV in the vicinity to trace a 'mere' burglar.

D

Deleted member 26715

I personally wouldn't touch a Nest system for either CCTV or heating, it is a dataminers dream.

Make sure the camera's are at least 960, as to having them covert complete waste of time the whole point is to move the scum down the road. They will see them anyway at night as the IR lights will be on so don't paint them black if you must paint then paint then red or yellow.

We currently have rc wired cameras but I'm moving over to IP with a Synology NAS powering them from a POE switch. The cameras are only £30 each & amazing quality.

Top Bottom