Don't ask - don't get!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just nipped over to the very excellent Mountain Feet shop in Oldham to buy something that was priced at £105. "Is that your best price? Any discount?" I asked as I usually do. I'd have been happy with a token reduction to £100 but the sales bloke dropped the price to £94.50. Wow!

Emerged from the shop feeling gleeful and got my car stuck in the car park for 20 minutes. Oh well, pride comes before a fall.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When I got my Roubaix I asked for 10%, he said 5%, I got the 10, I also asked for 2 free Spesh bottle holders and saddle bag.. and got.
On my Secteur, they wouldn't give me a discount being a 2010 bike, but I did wrangle a pair of XT SPD pedals and 2 bottle holders.

So yes, don't ask, you don't get. The shop wants a sale, you want to buy... so I always haggle.

Greedo

i always haggle. Doesn't matter if its, bricks, stone, tiles etc... for the business or for myself, suits, shoes, electrical stuff etc....

Shops are actually the best as they don't get asked often. It's all part of the game. I love it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well, as a former small shopkeeper myself, we had to give discounts if asked just to make the sale. It either squeezes profits to a point where there is little point in being in business (see how many small shops are closing) or the retailer bumps the price in the first place to allow for it.
Try asking for discounts at places like Tescos and the like!

Greedo

rich p said:
Well, as a former small shopkeeper myself, we had to give discounts if asked just to make the sale. It either squeezes profits to a point where there is little point in being in business (see how many small shops are closing) or the retailer bumps the price in the first place to allow for it.

What kind of shop did you have?

I only do it in certain shops. I don't labour the point. Just at the point of going to the till I say "so what kind of discount are you giving me then today?" then just keep quiet till they give me an answer.

rich p said:

Hard. 27 pubs per week close - I guess many of the customers haven't been asking for discount either...:wacko:

Aperitif said:
I am in 'negotiations' with Planet X about matters 'rolling'. If I get the deal, I wouldn't mind being stuck in a car park for a few mins!

what you going for? free Dura Ace upgrade :wacko:

Fulcrum 1 wheels - there are numerous discrepancies between the 'Bikebuild' and the 'individual component' availability. On balance, it is Fulcrum 1 wheels, some Dura-Ace and a saddle that gives me nuts to die for...:wacko: Get yours today!

Top Bottom