Don't you just love it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
... the first time you cycle to work and everyone looks at you in shock when they ask you how far you cycled and you say...

22 miles ;) (even more so shocked coz i am a girlie i think)

well, it's not the first time i've commuted, but the first time to my new office that i've been relocated too.

And i've got there to find they are totally reluctant to let me have a locker (in case everyone wants one!) which is a complete cultural disconnect from the other office where they actively encourage green travel, and in fact a complete cultural disconnect from the company's mission to go green, which is weird because its a main operational site, not just a little office out in the middle of nowhere.

so, after Facilities started to dig their feet in, and after a suggestion by one of the cyclists from the other office, I decided to make a tactical withdrawal and find a new way. Well, no point working for directors for 3 years if you are not goiing to use your contacts right?? so, i explained the lack of facilities to one of the directors and said if i send you an email asking if i can set up a cycling initiative will you bang back a one liner saying "great idea" so that i can name drop you and they will run round like headless chickens for me... and he said "bang me an email and i'll kick some ass". EVEN BETTER! so you could (hopefully) be looking at the new TWUG co-ordinator (two wheel user group) for that office, and i've roped my friend in to hopefully be co-ordinator for the office 5 mins down the road where there are even less facilities.

So meanwhile Facilities dept think I've given up on my locker idea, but really i am conspiring behind their backs to get lockers, showers, equipment and bike racks like at the other office Heehee.

o yea, and i have inspired one girl to cycle to work and the other to go out on her bike at the weekend. :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
22 miles!

bloody hell, respect

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
yea, but its through to Hinckley... even my cycling buddies say its lumpy so i know i'm not being a wimp

Goffins

Good work, I'm always impressed by a bit of people power.
It's funny how alot of companies I know strive to display their Green credentials, but when something as basic and obvious as cycling is mentioned they insist they have better things to do.

And wow, 22 Miles:ohmy:

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Wahey! And even better you're another Solihull commuter - I was under the impression that I was the only one, amidst all the 4x4's, Audi's and Nissan Figaro's, that cycled. (tho I would love a Figaro for Mrs JP)

Enjoy your ride buggi!

jiggerypokery said:
Wahey! and even better to see another Solihull commuter - I was under the impression that I was the only one amidst all the 4x4's, Audi's and Nissan Figaro's that cycled. (tho I would love a Figaro for Mrs JP)

Enjoy your ride buggi!

This is why syntax is important :ohmy: :sad:

[/pedant] Sorry JP, couldn't resist.

Good for you Buggi - and for getting a BUG going too - respect. I like people who DO things.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Nice one, I thought my 18 miles over the South Downs was tough. Unfortunate about the facilities. But keep the pressure on and you will get what you need withthe directors behind you.

I am lucky with my job, the director of our office has 4 bikes and a couple of others do (only 6 of us here), there is always at least 2-3 bikes in the office and I have just been given a green light to go to the LBS on the company credit card and get a track pump, cleaning and maintenance products and a few spares for midday tinkering and repairs in the office!

Tynan

Veteran
I've just bikelyed my commute 480 feet up and 407 feet down on the way in

it's not pretty rural or nice countryside, other than a bit of Wanstead Flats/Epping Forest

Top Bottom