double chain ring fixie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Suppose I were to convert my road bike to a fixie with the use of a rear derailleur. Would I still be able to use the double chain ring, or would there be issues?

skwerl

you can't do that. a rear derailleur will casue the chain to suck when you apply any kind of back-pressure to the pedals. you'll most likely end up in a hedge

skwerl

if, for some reason, you need a two-speed fixed there is the option of fixing an old SA hub or using a Schlumpf mountain drive I guess.

I'm wondering why you'd want such a thing though.

domtyler

Über Member
I would personally recomend that you simply go out and buy a fixie, either off the shelf or get one made up from a track frame. The result will be much more rewarding than something hashed together out of empty washing up liquid bottles and old fridge freezer parts.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Yeah, but where's the fun in that? I'm bored of my bike and want to do something to it.

Also, I read in another thread that it is not recommended to use a Sclumpf mountain drive on a fixed wheel as it would tend to unscrew itself.

Aren't those singulator mechanisms similar to derailleurs?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You can use n old double chainset. You could even leave both rings on if you wanted. But if you wanted to takeone off you would either need to shorten the bolts or buy new shorter ones.
You could do a fixed gear(singlespeed) with a rear mech or a chain tensioner thingy. Or do what i think is called an 'urban' singlespeed. You pick the gear you like on your geared then just shorten the chain and either put a chain tug on or a rear mech set up so it stays in one place with no cable on i.
Why not get anold track/road frame with horizontal drops and convert that to fixed. Would be much more fun, and you will then have another bike?

domtyler

Über Member
Yellow Fang said:
Yeah, but where's the fun in that? I'm bored of my bike and want to do something to it.

Also, I read in another thread that it is not recommended to use a Sclumpf mountain drive on a fixed wheel as it would tend to unscrew itself.

Aren't those singulator mechanisms similar to derailleurs?

Fair enough, if you get your fun out of the building and not the riding I guess! :becool:

skwerl

Joe24 said:
You can use n old double chainset. You could even leave both rings on if you wanted. But if you wanted to takeone off you would either need to shorten the bolts or buy new shorter ones.
You could do a fixed gear(singlespeed) with a rear mech or a chain tensioner thingy. Or do what i think is called an 'urban' singlespeed. You pick the gear you like on your geared then just shorten the chain and either put a chain tug on or a rear mech set up so it stays in one place with no cable on i.
Why not get anold track/road frame with horizontal drops and convert that to fixed. Would be much more fun, and you will then have another bike?

you can't make a fixed with a singulator/derailleur. Once the tension in the chain starts in the reverse direction, ie as soon as you stop accelerating, you'll get chain suck.
Try it and see
The only way you might get close to getting away with it is if you have something similar to a singulator that isn't spring loaded but locked in place. My idea was to mount a jockey wheel on a bracket fixed to the underside of the chain-stay, adjusting tension by sliding toward, away from the stay in the vertical plain.

Yellow Fang said:

Not if you use one with a torque arm.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
skwerl said:
you can't make a fixed with a singulator/derailleur. Once the tension in the chain starts in the reverse direction, ie as soon as you stop accelerating, you'll get chain suck.
Try it and see
The only way you might get close to getting away with it is if you have something similar to a singulator that isn't spring loaded but locked in place. My idea was to mount a jockey wheel on a bracket fixed to the underside of the chain-stay, adjusting tension by sliding toward, away from the stay in the vertical plain.

No, i said to make an Urban Fixed/singlespeed with a chain tug. Please not: "You could do a fixed gear(singlespeed) with a rear mech or a chain tensioner thingy"
Singlespeed is really a fixed gear, only one gear. Fixed wheel is no freewheel. Or thats how i see it anyway.

skwerl

Joe24 said:
No, i said to make an Urban Fixed/singlespeed with a chain tug. Please not: "You could do a fixed gear(singlespeed) with a rear mech or a chain tensioner thingy"
Singlespeed is really a fixed gear, only one gear. Fixed wheel is no freewheel. Or thats how i see it anyway.

Fixed gear/Fixed wheel are the same thing=no freewheel

S/S=freewheel

Top Bottom