Double Chainring combos for touring an S6L in a hilly area ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
BOOM!

Dunnit.
No spacers required and as long as it's in the 50T there are no fold issues. Cheers all!

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Boom!

New rear sprockets, chain. Easy-Peasy.
Loaded for 35 mile test-run tomorrow!

IMG_4420.JPG

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Kinda curious about that myself.It looks like a 50/34?
I've just cobbled together a compact from the spares heap, or at least I thought it was. Turns out it's actually a 44/34. Why have I got a 44T chainring? I'm not fitting it this evening as I'd get drowned going to the BikeCave. Again.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yay!! My own fettlage has been successful. Newish 44/34 chainset, new chain and new sprockets, as the old ones skipped like anything with a new chain on.
My Brompton now has 12 gears, with 88" 71" 56" 46" 36" 29" on the 44 ring, and 68" 55" 43" 35" 28" 22" on the 34 ring. This compares with the standard gearing, which is 100" 81" 64" 52" 41" 33". I never needed the 100" gear. So I've now got a general knocking-about set that I can spin up to about koff-koff mph if I have a downhill or tailwind, and a set for touring or climbing. Anything I can't climb on a 22 inch gear I shall walk or get a bus.Or possibly a chairlift,as I have plotted for a putative tour of the Alps including an ascent of the Col de Mont-Cenis.

clockworksimon

Über Member
If any non-Brompton folding bike owners are wondering whether a double chainset might work, I fitted an old 52/39 to my BTwin Hoptown the other week. Along with a 24/13 six speed freewheel this got me up Kirkstone Pass in the Lakes during an unplanned after work, evening jaunt. Gear changes at the front used the manual change technique described in earlier threads. Thought it might be a pain stopping but the brief breaks were welcome. Think my lowest gear is about 33 inches which was low enough on an unladen bike.
This was my first time trying a ride this serious on a folder and perfectly doable. If repeating I would reduce the low gearing to below 30 inches and be prepared to sacrifice my top gear a bit.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Thinking of doing the same, can you confirm what parts you needed and where you got them from
IIRC IT's a standard square taper 50/34 stronglight double. Around £50. Can't find where I got it from.
My chain is slightly long and it falls off on the 34T when folded but am led to believe that with the shortest chain for the 50T is should be OK folding on tge 34.
Either way, it's a straightforward swap with the std and works a treat!

BromptonChrispy

Hello there y'all. I'm new to the Cycle Chat Net and found it and this thread from searching for info about double "chainringing" a Brom S6L. As it is over two years ago since the original post I was wondering if FabFoodie's mod is still alright or whether it proved to be troublesome.

Before shelling out £75 for a stronglight chainset, I thought i'd ask. Thanks for any assistance.

My Brom is a 2014 S6L with the newer JIS taper BB.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
:welcome:
I've been using a double for a couple of years, with no problems.
It doesn't specifically have to be a Stronglight one, I just used a compact from the spares pile.
It's a 44/34 IIRC, although I may change it to a 50/34 sometime.
Hope this helps.

Top Bottom