downtube cable stops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
stoopid question #94 - will these work with a band-on downtube shifter bracket? and if not, why not? and what's the alternative?

and while we're at it, why have Wadworths started putting the plastic 4-pack can holder halfway down the can?

Grasen

stoopid question #94 - will these work with a band-on downtube shifter bracket? and if not, why not? and what's the alternative?

and while we're at it, why have Wadworths started putting the plastic 4-pack can holder halfway down the can?

I would use one of these
Skrmbillede2010-07-28kl210938.png

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk

search "cable stop". A good assortment.

Thanks for this thread by the way, it prompted me to look on SJS for these as I have so many bits and pieces including nearly unused wheels, gears and shifters taken from a brand new MTB, I'm thinking of buying one of Decathlon's single speed Vitamin bikes and turning it into an effectively brand-new 21 speed flat-bar commuter for £70 (and better than a Tesco cheapie)

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
Ok... but that solution would be f'ugly. Aesthetics are a consideration for this project.

Can anyone answer my original question?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Ok... but that solution would be f'ugly. Aesthetics are a consideration for this project.

Can anyone answer my original question?

Answer to orig question.... is to take your band-on apart and see if it has an M5 female thread stud to mount those on. But even if so unlikely to sit flush to the downtube - so whole thing would be just as fugly. If you buy those stops and decide it's not the right solution aftter all, I'll be happy to take them off your hands. I'll need some for a project I have stored up for the winter.

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
Answer to orig question.... is to take your band-on apart and see if it has an M5 female thread stud to mount those on. But even if so unlikely to sit flush to the downtube - so whole thing would be just as fugly. If you buy those stops and decide it's not the right solution aftter all, I'll be happy to take them off your hands. I'll need some for a project I have stored up for the winter.

OK, thanks very much - I'm starting to get the picture now. Here is the band-on in question:

IMAG0001.jpg

I don't have any known M5 bolts to hand, but my digital caliper shows 4.3mm over the threads so I think its M5. Is it that brazed on stays are shorter, or a different shape?

Grasen

Is it that brazed on stays are shorter, or a different shape?

Jap and euro standards. No relevance for you as long as the bolt fits. You could do as you intend, but will need to file a little to make it fit snugly around the band.

I thought you were going to use a repainted frame.

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
Jap and euro standards. No relevance for you as long as the bolt fits. You could do as you intend, but will need to file a little to make it fit snugly around the band.

I thought you were going to use a repainted frame.

OK, ta. Will order some and get my fettling tools ready.

Top Bottom