downtube/Sti update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

curzons246

Veteran
Is it possible to fit sti brake/gear shifters to replace my downtube friction shifters - the drive train is all Shimano 600ex arabesque - Thanks Bill

I'm no expert but I would have thought so, I fitted sti's to a bike that had rapid fire shifters its just the speed compatibility I think which needs to be met.

Shimano 600ex 'Arabesque'? Is it even indexed? How many sprockets?

STIs can be the most expensive component on a new bike. If what you are trying to acheive is more accessible shifters perhaps you should consider bar ends, their easier to fit and much cheaper.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Unfortunately it is not going to be as straightforward as just introducing drop bar sti levers and downtube cable stop I think.

According to this and this while some 600 mechs were SIS that is not the case with the 600EX Arabesque. Manufactured from 1978 to 1984, they preceded Shimano's indexed systems. What that means is that you will need to replace the rear mech by something more modern to index with sti.

But that is the easy part, the potentially more challenging issue lies with what speed sti will you and can you get, and whether your existing rear wheel (if it has freewheel and not freehub) and indeed frame (if you have 5, 6 or 7 speed currently, and if the frame is not steel) can accommodate.

Given the sprocket spacing of Shimano 7 and 8 differ by only 0.2mm, it is just about possible to cheat by using Shimano 8 speed sti (currently available in either the 2300 or R500 series) on a 7 speed freewheel or cassette if cable tension is set to centre the mech on the 4th sprocket, but definitely not on 5 or 6 speed freewheels.

To provide more precise advice I think more detailed info on the existing configuration is required.

Hope it helps.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you want to retain your current set up, just with more accessible shifters, I believe you can get stem mounted friction shifters, that fit on 1" quill stems. You would also need downtube cable stops that fit onto your existing lever bosses. Even simpler than bar end levers.

Stem mounted or 'quill' shifters? I haven't seen a set of those on sale for 30+ years. They were banned as original eqipmet on new bikes due to their habit of impaling people in the groin during accidents.

youngoldbloke

Well ..... they come fitted to a number of low end 'starter' road bikes. I wouldn't recommend them, and would go for bar end levers if I were the OP. Otherwise a lot of hassle and expense to change to STI - new rear mech, new shifters, cable stops, bar tape etc. - maybe it's time for a new bike?

I, or rather Bicycle Doctor in Manchester, did this to my bike - it did require a new rear wheel and cassette, STIs, new rear mech, the rear triangle of the frame cold setting some adaptors brazing on to the down tube as cable stops (as my friction shifters were band on). If you want to go from double to triple then you'll need a new chainset too.

It is a big job and unless the frame is worth keeping (mine was a fairly nice Bob Jackson) and some/all of the things you're replacing are close to the end of their useful life anyway then a new bike will be the way to go.

However, one thing I would say is I made two very expensive mistakes on mine; I went with Sora shifters to save £50 (or something like that), I hated the little thumb toggle for downshifting, I eventually found a pair of 105s on ebay secondhand for about £100 plus paying an LBS to fit them. I also didn't bother getting it resprayed (just hammerited the brazed bits) again to save £50-£100, which was pointless as when I eventually got it resprayed the biggest cost was getting it stripped and rebuilt - which pretty much had to be done for the STI upgrade anyway...

So if you do have a very nice frame then I would advise going for at least 105 for the shifters, getting it resprayed at the same time and possibly learning to rebuild it yourself (something I've now done). I don't expect you'll get away with it costing much less than £500-£700 which is quite a lot given that a new bike with a full 105 groupset can be had for around the £1000 mark, but if its a nice frame then it might be worth it...

youngoldbloke

Me think a few cheaper drop bar bikes have paddle shifters, mounted on the bars.
- maybe that's what I am thinking of, but I am sure I have seen stem mounted ones on bikes in the last year or so. So how about the paddle shifters? Or are they indexed? Maybe we need to know why more accessibility is required? I use down tube shifters on the winter bike, no problem.

Top Bottom