Dozy bleedin' pedestrians...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Straight stretch on big main road, no traffic, dozy bird on a mobile just wandering across the road like it isn't a road....sees me, slows down, speeds up, slows down, still chatting away gormlessly...I always go round the back of them in such situations, but this one just wouldn't decide where she was going and go there...I had to virtually stop in the end so's to be sure not to hit her....completely ignored me, just kept on chatting away....

Give me strength...

domtyler

Über Member
They can be annoying, but only if you let them. The bottom line is that roads are public property and everyone has a right to be on them. Pedestrians have a right to at like pedestrians on the roads but you have no right to ride your bike or drive your car at them. You must slow down and allow them to go about their business safely.

On another day that might be you or indeed one of your loved ones crossing the road, maybe while talking to you on the phone!! ;)

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Nope, this one didn't need any permission from me or anyone else to be annoying. She was managing all on her own. Oh, and that may be one bottom line. Another is the notion of 'right of way'.

Jake

But like anyone using the road, pedestrians should be aware of whats going on around them like us bikes or drivers. IF your at speed and one of these idiots walks out, you have very little time to judge what to do. Do you hit them, try to avoid them and go in the pothole on their left, or swerve right and risk being squashed by the bendy bus roaring up behind you. Thing is now-a-days people don't give a toss, it's always someone elses fault and never their own. I did read the other week about the nutter cyclist who actualy rammed a pedestrian while on the pavement i belive. Thats out of order of course, but if they cross the road they shoudl be aware. One day i may not be a bike who can stop in time, but a car who knocks them over and kills them.

hackbike 6

(Some) Peds are as annoying as RLJers and Motorists on their phones.

I have to thank ped's though as just recently at Bow when they didn't see me (yet again) ,I proceeded to blow the horn on the pavement side which wasn't the best side really and it gave me the idea to link the two horn buttons up with a bit of superglue and a piece of plastic. ;)

Much better,louder now.Both sound in unison.(or single if wanted)

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't think I've ever been put out by an RLJ-er...whatever else, they do tend to be paying attention...

domtyler

Über Member
This is just the same selfish and intolerant attitude we get from drivers all the time and it stinks! ;)

domtyler

Über Member
hackbike 6 said:

Nice, instead of actually typing a load of crap you just post a summary of what you would have posted if you had posted it! ;):eek:

hackbike 6

Drivers are intolerant to RLJers? Oh ok then.

Im intolerant to RLJers but even more Drivers using their phones and I had a go at a ped this morning as he stepped before he thought.I was a bit sorry after that but I don't particularly want to add another ped collision to my record and that's another reason why I don't RLJ.

Sprocket Dog

domtyler said:
This is just the same selfish and intolerant attitude we get from drivers all the time and it stinks! ;)

Perhaps. However, there's no point lying under a bus screaming that you had right of way (of course that statement is more relevant to a vehicle that could squish a ped).For my part, I know that peds are entitled to walk where they choose, within reason. However they should expect dangerous vehicles on the road and thus treat/cross roads with caution, not the apparent assumption that traffic will alter its course because of them.:smile:Sorry, what does RLJ mean? :eek:

Maz

Guru
[quote name='swee'pea99']...I always go round the back of them in such situations, but this one just wouldn't decide where she was going and go there...I had to virtually stop in the end so's to be sure not to hit her...[/QUOTE]
That's good. I think you did the right thing giving way to her.