Drafting? Who needs drafting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cannondale boy

Über Member
So what is your average speed on your recumbent? You must of been doing about 30+. Welcome back :laugh:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
...with a bike like mine. This is why I love recumbents, especially lowracers like mine:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FejPFthpsQo

Welcome back BM...heard a lot about you over the last day or so.

would have been interested to see another minute or so of footage from that ride..the bit where you have to start climbing (after dropping off the hill at biggin hill ) back up past the mini roundabout and over into keston...very winding and pretty steep up hill section.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's nice to see videos of people cycling on roads i know..
how fast do you get up to on that? i see one recumbent rider on my commute into london, and he isn't half slow!

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
jonny jeez said:
Welcome back BM...heard a lot about you over the last day or so.

would have been interested to see another minute or so of footage from that ride..the bit where you have to start climbing (after dropping off the hill at biggin hill ) back up past the mini roundabout and over into keston...very winding and pretty steep up hill section.

LOL! You're not so far away from me, much steeper hills up your way. The climb back up isn't too steep at all, I'm almost always at 10mph or above, and 15+ on a strong day.

That's probably a little slower than an upright roadie of similar fitness, but then I am carrying about 10kg of my work stuff + tools, lights, camera. The downhill towards Oakley Drive is another good one, also usually 40mph, and then an easy 30 all the way to the A21.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
jimboalee said:
What the camera DOESN'T show is the chap on the motorbike with his left leg outstretched and his foot on BM's rear fairing.

LMAO! I'm slightly peeved, as I haven't yet had the obligatory stop from a copper to ask where my illegal engine is. Perhaps that's only for velomobiles, LeeW got stopped for this in his Quest. :biggrin:

I did manage 30mph all the way from Homebase near Mottingham to Lewisham on Sunday, though with rests at the traffic lights. Showing off for my cycling mate who beeped when he passed me in his car.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
cannondale boy said:
So what is your average speed on your recumbent?
bloody fast. Although I'm not at all convinced that it's about the bike. The man has glutes like Sizewell B.

Actually I'm not convinced that these ridiculous divans are more aerodynamic. I've drafted aralsopp in his recumbent and ten or so metres back I reckon the benefit was about the same as a 'real' bike.

At 43 seconds in to the tape he had me really, really worried. The white flashes on the side of the cyclist's shorts were a relief. Not me.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Why thank you! I wish that were true, but I've never quite managed your herculean feat of beating chav-onna-moped uphill whilst wearing a leg bandage. That's rather more impressive! This is just aerodynamics, when the UCI isn't involved, it sometimes is about the bike.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd forgotten all about the moped chappy. He wasn't amused!

You may have a point about the UCI, but don't think anybody who knows you is fooled. Every time I ride with a speedskater I know I'm going to struggle. Tanya is coming on this month's ride, and there are chaps that are going to have to get past the 'me, overtaken by a girl, no way' stage in their lives.

jimboalee

Something else to be taken into consideration.

The camera lens is about 20" off the tarmac, and due to its closer proximity to the road surface, the ILLUSION of speed is exagerated.

30 mph in a Range Rover APPEARS a lot slower than 30 mph in a Caterham 7.

jimboalee

Only joking BM.

You were doing 50 metre lamp posts in 3.4 - 3.5 seconds.

That's 52 kmh in my book.

Everybody should know a recumbent is a better vehicle than an upright.

Google 'Chester Kyle recumbent' to find out.

Top Bottom