Drago's English language rant #72

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Americanisation surely. :whistle:
Of course, did you follow the link?

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 4809079, member: 45"]This thread is, like, so pointless. I, like, never see, like, irritating habits in the, like, comprehension of others.

Roasted.[/QUOTE]
Boom. Roasted.

Surely? (Ed).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 4808739, member: 259"]I live in a Dutch-speaking area, and you still have to watch yerssen with the equivalent of thou and you. Get it wrong - especially if you're young - and you'll be in for all sorts of abuse. Same with most European languages, though.[/QUOTE]
I thought Dutch was heading towards less formality, in that respect? (I remember my Gran lamenting that, along with Flemish becoming more and more Dutch).

Mr Celine

Discordian
Of course, did you follow the link?

Gadzooks, I've been pwned! :angry:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm literally gobsmacked. I was literally watching the news when some woman opined "Teresa May is literally taking food out of children's mouths."

Whhoooaa there a moment. Mrs May is shoving her hand into the mouths of children and physically withdrawing the food? Why has this not been in the news before?

The word 'literally' has become so common in use that it now, quite literally, seems to mean the opposite of that which it should. I'm literally stunned.

Its becoming literally as bad as hearing the word negotiate mis-pronounced all the time... ;)
Did you actually smack your gob?

Top Bottom