Drivers, repeat after me: Must Pass Cyclist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sometimes as a driver you get an urge, an urge that cannot be ignored. MUST PASS CYCLIST. It doesn't matter that you will end up in the wrong lane, or that there is stationary traffic just ahead. On no. You just have to get past.

Of course if you fail to get past and because of your impatience you end up where you don't want to be.... it must have been the cyclists fault. Best to let them know that by hitting your horn then..... twice.

See for yourself.

;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Cyclists: repeat after me - sten gun on the front of the bike ;):laugh::wacko:

And if you shout at them or just so happen to lose your rag you're just another "evil, baby eating cyclist" (I couldnt eat a whole one, honest) :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
At least she backed off from turning.....some woman did exectly that on me a few weeks ago - and that was a single lane of traffic - came side on signalled and turned into me...me shouting "oi" - just kept coming....slammed on and got out of her way....

OP
OP
M

magnatom

fossyant said:
At least she backed off from turning.....some woman did exectly that on me a few weeks ago - and that was a single lane of traffic - came side on signalled and turned into me...me shouting "oi" - just kept coming....slammed on and got out of her way....

Aye, but in the past I used to take a secondary position along there and I had plenty of drivers cut across me. Now that I take a better position, earlier, it never happens.

However, I fully expect to be berated shortly for taking my primary position, from the usual suspects. ;)

It was indeed rush hour.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I'd like to say I can't believe her bare-faced cheek. Sadly though, I can.

Reminds me of a friend who was aggressively and blantantly cut-up on a junction. When he voiced his complaint to said driver, his explanation was "but I'm in a car."

ronmac

Cycling in Glasgow city centre today. Refuse truck passes me and promptly stops about 5 yards ahead to pick up garbage. Go figure. I bit my lower lip and continued. I'm fairly new to this and feel if I start arguing I'll be in a street fight every other day.

wafflycat

Come, come Mags.. now you know that just by being on a bicycle you are *obviously* in the wrong position on the road and it is *obviously* all your fault! :tongue:

Sadly, it's a frequent failing of too many drivers. I see it happen when I'm cycling and when I'm driving. Cyclist in front - car in front of me will overtake cyclist oblivious to that oncoming HGV... on a bend... I really don't know what it is with some drivers. Can't fathom it. The other day I went out to do some shopping (so in car). Cyclist ahead. Car behind me. So I signal to overtake cyclist - it's clear ahead - so I overtake and my car is in the offside lane to give room to cyclist. I check rear view mirror before moving back in - car behind me is overtaking cyclist without so much as making any provision to move out a bit to give the cyclist some room. What a moron. There is no excuse. There seems to be some sort of brain fog descend to say "Cyclist.. must overtake.. must overtake.." Heaven knows why! The other one is when I'm driving and there's a cyclist in front. I will NOT overtake unless safe to do so, giving the cyclist plenty of room. I have experienced impatient twunts behind me, worshippers at the Church of Clakrson who will sit on my rear bumper and toot their horn *loudly*. :biggrin:

If you'd been a bit faster then you wouldn't be in the way would you?:tongue:

You were spot on in this one actually. I've just got back from a run (bit pumped up) and was screaming at the PC. I was nearly climbing in to "have a word" at one point!!

Fairly hopeless driver anticipation - poor and simple.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've had some odd incidents like this. Must get the 'overtake-and-immediately-join-queue' thing at least once a week. Some folks have trouble with the concept of average speed.

Once I was riding in a queue of freely moving traffic, close behind a van. A bit too close really, although I was out beyond the centre of the lane so I could bale out down the outside. Road was a nice wide single carriageway A road, several sets of lights and junctions etc. (not rural)

I was moving at the speed of the queue, 20 mph-ish (it was evening rush hour). The driver behind made a couple of attempts to overtake me. There was room for a car between me and the van but I think it would've been impossible to accelerate to pass me and get into the gap. I don't mean impossible to do it safely either, I mean not possible at all.

After a couple of goes she starts to come past on my left instead but then the queue started to slow up ahead so she didn't get to complete that manoeuvre.

I had quit a funny must overtake tonight :biggrin:. Some driver was so desperate to overtake into that sub 2m gap to the car in front he failed to notice why I was slowing; the van in front of the car in front had decided to stop :tongue: and pull into a parking space. The fool almost rear ended the car in front, I just went by on the outside :biggrin:.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
ronmac said:
20 mile an hour in traffic ! That worries me Palinarus. I took this up to relax and chill out. Am I expected to keep up with city traffic ?

I was on my TT bike, off to an evening event. Damn thing flies along.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Speaking of impatient drivers saw something this morning along those lines. I rode the bike in (first time in ages, loads of really cool drivers tbh). So I'm sat waiting to turn right, theres a car stopped on the road to the left waiting for a lady to reverse out of her drive on the right. I sit patiently, glance up the road to my right and as I turn my head to the left a car shoots past the waiting driver and nearly into the back of the reversing car. :biggrin::laugh:

He managed to stop... just. Then he looked over at me and mouthed the words "oops, that was close!" :tongue:

Once they'd all finished the driver who had waited patiently let me out of the side road. Cool driver. :biggrin:

Top Bottom