Driving to work sucks. Period.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've had a record spell of cycling to work, 3 months on the bounce! I used to take the motorbike to work once a month, but I really do prefer to cycle so there she sits in the garage. Anyway, today I took the car (I don't think my workmates believed I had a car,) because I had an ebay purchase to pick up on the way home. My drive in took 20 mins, as opposed to 40 on the bicycle. The ride home (subtracting the 5 mins for the pick up) took 45 mins through Flipping gridlocked Doncaster.
11.5 miles, and it's quicker to pedal it! My Zafiras ave speed showed 15 mph on the return journey. It's usually 18mph on the road bike.

Back on the bike tomorrow (and forever more.)
CARS BAD, BIKES GOOD.:thumbsup:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I couldn't go back to driving to work, but then I did sell my last car in 1994 and haven't looked back...

akb

Veteran
I'd much rather cycle than drive in. Its only an extra 10 mins for me as the route is more direct. Also a bloody good way to wake up in the morning. Especially when there is a chill in the air!

Jezston

Über Member
I couldn't drive to work, but that's because I'd probably crash it or get arrested even if I had a car, because my only driving experience is in video games!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't mind driving to work, but I prefer cycling. If I can't cycle, I prefer public transport as I can do my own stuff whilst travelling.

Jezston

Über Member
1593693 said:
The one that always amazes me is how small the time advantage is taking the train. 5 minutes to the station, 22 minutes on the train, 10-15 minutes walk to the office versus 50 - 60 minutes by bike.

That's err almost twice as fast Adrian.

Crankarm

Guru
I like driving to work. I can potter along in relative safety listening to the radio then go straight in without spending half an hour showering and getting ready. The journey for me only takes 20 minutes max, but I guess this maybe different for others who may have different routes and distances to travel. Each to their own I s'pose,

Col5632

Guru
I defo prefer to cycle, more or less the same route but it only takes 10 mins more by bike and much less q's to sit in, if only my work had showers but with it only being 5 miles each way then im not sweating too much when i get there :tongue:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I can make it in to work doing almost double distance (7.7 miles compared to 4 in the car) and showered in the same time as it would take me to drive in, park up and walk the 10 minutes or so into work. bike wakes me up more and i can leave earlier to ride as dont need to shower at home.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I can potter along in relative safety listening to the radio then go straight in without spending half an hour showering and getting ready.

bike wakes me up more and i can leave earlier to ride as dont need to shower at home.

Maybe I should start a thread asking who showers after cycling to work?

Personally, I take it steady going to work to avoid breaking sweat, so it's 45 mins in, 35 mins back....and boy am I sweaty when I get home!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have never tried driving to work. Congestion charge, no free parking at work and the sheer traffic means i know it's slower than the bike.

For me public transport takes an hour, by bike it takes a little over that.
But i like to look at things over a year. My bicycle journey rarely fluctuations in time, and if it does then it's only 20mins max. BUT my public transport time can fluctuate massively, in some cases over double.

snailracer

Über Member
I could cycle to work a bit slower to avoid showering - it would be a couple of minutes faster overall - but I feel really great after a shower :biggrin:

al78

Guru
Maybe I should start a thread asking who showers after cycling to work?

Personally, I take it steady going to work to avoid breaking sweat, so it's 45 mins in, 35 mins back....and boy am I sweaty when I get home!

I do.

I have a significant climb for the last mile or so on the way in, at the end of which is my destination, and on a humid day it is impossible to do this climb without sweating. Believe me, I have gone down to 5-6 mph and I am still perspiring, and even on days when I don't sweat much I will sweat when I arrive at work because there is no way of soft pedaling to cool down.

Top Bottom