Driving without due care and attention endangers Vid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
Holy cr*p, that's insane!

The driver of the black car was obviously in the wrong for not checking before turning, but the woman.. She shouldn't be allowed to drive! She failed to see the cyclist coming down the road, the collision, the cyclist flying in front of her car, and bike in front of her car which she proceeded to run over, without even stopping until someone sounded a horn!

Edit: And in the whole video, I didn't notice her apologize once! Just ranting on about how she didn't see him..
angry.gif

alp1950

I dont normally comment on videos but that is shocking
wacko.gif

Nasty.

Obviously both motorists to blame through inattention but as in so many of accidents there must be something about visual perception that people don't necessarily see what is in front of them. Applying the principle that motorists have not necessarily seen you I keep looking at the video to try determine whether there is anything defensive that the cyclist could have done which in turn I could apply to my own cycling.

Speculating here but several extrinsic factors might have contributed to the accident. The white van that pulls across just before the accident might inadvertently have contributed. It blocks the woman's view of the road on her right as she approaches the junction. It also obscures the black car's view as he approaches the junction. As a result black car man has less time to see the cyclist than would otherwise have been the case.

The van gets across before the cyclist gets to the junction, but it is pretty fine. The road looks as though it is a downhill drag, so quite easy for the cyclist to pick up speed & perhaps this lead to the white van man underestimating his closing speed. It is a bit hard to tell from the video, but if I had been the cyclist I think I might have a bit worried about the white van guy turning as I was approaching at speed and might have been tempted to touch the brakes. In part, because I don't know what is behind the van and if there was something nasty it might have given a bit of extra wriggle space. Also seeing the white car approaching the junction on the left (but not having stopped at the time you loose sight of it because it is obscured by the white van) warning bells might have been sounding. Cars rolling towards, as distinct to stopped at junctions make me nervous as I feel there is a higher risk that haven't seen me & might pull straight out

This isn't to defend the motorists, and the cyclist isn't too blame, but as has been pointed out before the moral high ground isn't much use if you're splattered on the road.

Crankarm

Guru
It's not the worst piece of cycling footage. The cyclist appears relatively uninjured. It's a bit scary seeing the car turn across him but he lived. Many don't or are seriously injured.

Please everyone who is knocked down. If you are able, immediately call the police, as pretty much every driver will try to argue with you and a great many will want to drive off. SO CALL 999 IMMEDIATELY! NO DEBATE. With no police present they will try to give false details or you run the risk of being given false details. How do you know whether the driver has a license or is insured? If police come they will or should breathalyse them to see if they are under the influence of drink. A large minority of drivers as we know are lying barstewards. Also witnesses are crucial if no head cam or CCTV.

When I was knocked down the following driver blew his horn, put his window down then shouted "Get out the f*****g road! Charming. You need all the help you can get as a cyclist so CALL THE POLICE or an ambulance if your are injured. Fortunately this cyclist is ok.

AND DON'T GET INTO ARGUMENTS/DISCUSSIONS WITH OTHER PARTIES WHO CAUSED THE COLLISION.

Luckily this cyclist has a good headcam. Just be thankful it wasn't worse. His bike is toast though.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
Please everyone who is knocked down. If you are able, immediately call the police, as pretty much every driver will try to argue with you and a great many will want to drive off. SO CALL 999 IMMEDIATELY! NO DEBATE. With no police present they will try to give false details or you run the risk of being given false details. How do you know whether the driver has a license or is insured? If police come they will or should breathalyse them to see if they are under the influence of drink......

......AND DON'T GET INTO ARGUMENTS/DISCUSSIONS WITH OTHER PARTIES WHO CAUSED THE COLLISION.

This is very good advice.

It will be a very rare event that there is a collision involving a cyclist where there is no injury involved; even if it is only minor bruising or a sprain IT IS AN INJURY.

I would suggest that when phoning 999 you should make it absolutely clear on the phone to the operator that you have an injury. They will ask if you need ambulance. Tell them YES. If the injury is minor the ambulance crew can assess this and make the decision about the level of treatment or further examination required.

The police MUST report and injury accident: viz. they must complete a written report and if they have to do that, then they might as well prosecute someone to make it worthwhile. And if the other driver gets prosecuted it will make the insurance situation so much more straightforward.

(edit: unless it's you they decide to prosecute of course!!:wacko: )

doog

Also be aware that if you are taken to hospital the ambulance service can make a charge under the Road Traffic Act and its quite substantial.

As stated you need to call the Police to the scene,if anything it will ensure that insurance details are obtained and if you do get a bill from the ambulance the others side can pay it.

Buddfox

Veteran
Also be aware that if you are taken to hospital the ambulance service can make a charge under the Road Traffic Act and its quite substantial.

As stated you need to call the Police to the scene,if anything it will ensure that insurance details are obtained and if you do get a bill from the ambulance the others side can pay it.

A charge against you as the victim, or against the driver which caused the accicent?

Top Bottom