Drone Grounds all Gatwick Flights

alicat

Legendary Member
Your link doesn't work for me, @Phaeton.

OP
Phaeton

Phaeton

Grumpy Old Barstool
Or maybe just people messing about.
Had it been going on for a couple of hours I would agree but this is now over 12 hours, the Police believe once they get close to find the 'pilot' they go to ground for a period & then start again, it seems to me to be a concerted effort.
[QUOTE 5475512, member: 9609"]or may be someone protecting our environment, Londons air will be a little cleaner this morning and CO2 levels not as high as they would have been.[/QUOTE]I did actually wonder about this, is somebody trying to prove a point?

Salar

A fish out of water
I know nothing about drones, but google tells me the battery flight life is approximately 30 minutes.

In my ignorance how have these drones been flying so long, are they returning to the "pilot" to have batteries replaced.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's a real pain in the ass for the hundreds of folk who've been delayed thanks to some eejit with a new toy. It's a bummer, too, for those of us who use drones responsibly and will probably be penalised with restrictive legislation.

OP
Phaeton

Phaeton

Grumpy Old Barstool
I know nothing about drones, but google tells me the battery flight life is approximately 30 minutes.
In my ignorance how have these drones been flying so long, are they returning to the "pilot" to have batteries replaced.
One 'Expert' has made a suggestion that they maybe military grade which have a extended battery life up to a few hours, but I have no idea, the ones I have seen are 15-20 minutes,
It's a real pain in the ass for the hundreds of folk who've been delayed thanks to some eejit with a new toy. It's a bummer, too, for those of us who use drones responsibly and will probably be penalised with restrictive legislation.
Yes I keep wanting one, but can't think what use I would want to use it for, so have resisted but if they now slap restrictions on or even go as far to make them licensed it will never happen.
I am surprised they haven't shot it out of the sky.
That was mentioned, due to the surrounding area they can't due to a stray bullet either missing it's target or where it ends up after hitting it's target. I wonder if they could use something like an EMP gun if such a thing exists if they can get close enough

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes I keep wanting one, but can't think what use I would want to use it for, so have resisted but if they now slap restrictions on or even go as far to make them licensed it will never happen.
I use mine in remote places like Glencoe or other parts of the highlands or the coast. Mine is a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced and is great for photography or filming dramatic scenery that would otherwise be inaccessible. It's been fun while it lasted.

Top Bottom