Drumlanrig Challenge May 1st 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seamab

Drumlanrig Challenge

I did this last year as my first sportive type event and it was really very good. The sun actually shone which helped!

It starts/finishes at Drumlanrig Castle and you complete the course in 2 separately timed sections - stopping for lunch back at the castle for as long as you want (within reason!).

The food/drink was plentiful and tasty. The whole event is very well marshalled and to enter you give a donation to the Tearfund charity. So it's great value and very friendly.

This year they are adding a 100 mile route so you have 3 options, 100, 83 or 43 miles over very quiet roads.

In terms of hills there is one really nasty 1K hill on the second half (nr Penpont / Moniave)- saw loads walking it last year - but apart from that the hills are very manageable.

Highly recommended.

If you've got family then there is plenty to see/do at the castle and grounds.

Baldieheidit

I've looked at this and quite fancy it. Which route did you do?

thanks for the info

Nick :biggrin:

OP
OP
S

Seamab

Nick, i did the 83 mile loop - the 100 mile is new for this year and looks to be a slight extension of last years'.

Last year we did the Mennock Pass/Dalveen Pass before lunch - looks like they have reversed the order this year.

OP
OP
S

Seamab

HJ said:
Oh, there are two threads...

I think you'll find that this one was first:smile:

But then it's an event deserving of two....

You thinking of entering HJ? There's quite a few options and it's very friendly and well organised. It was my first foray into the sportive world.

OP
OP
S

Seamab

I think you're on your own:sad: As you know, I failed to get my entry organised in time:angry:

Hard to believe that it would sell out ages ago since last year we entered a couple of weeks beforehand.

Must be getting popular this cycling lark....last time i'll talk up an event:biggrin:

viniga

Guru
Sportive Report:

Terrible!!!! Do not do this sportive, the organisation is poor, the cakes are awful, the roads are terrible, the scenery simply boring and the roads are lined with abusive neds that they bus in from all over for the day. At the finish the 'timer' has a super-scoosher and tries to make you swerve into the verge so you are a DNF.

So, next year - no one sign up for this. :biggrin:

OK Seamab, think I might have salvaged you a place for next year :thumbsup:

As you may have worked out - the event is the exact opposite. Great food, fantastic organisation, beautiful countryside. The roads have suffered a bit; but that is true of all over the UK. Weather was a little damp on occassion, wind a little better than last year and I'm happy with my time! My thanks to the organisers! Oh and if the Borders Wheelers look at cycle chat, thanks for the tow.

OP
OP
S

Seamab

viniga said:
Sportive Report:

Terrible!!!! Do not do this sportive, the organisation is poor, the cakes are awful, the roads are terrible, the scenery simply boring and the roads are lined with abusive neds that they bus in from all over for the day. At the finish the 'timer' has a super-scoosher and tries to make you swerve into the verge so you are a DNF.

So, next year - no one sign up for this. :rofl:

That's how i remember it - sounds even worse than last year. Did they not throw bananas at you at the top of the Mennock Pass this year?

Now, when do the 2011 entries open?:laugh:

IIRC it was the only event last year i took part in when it didn't rain.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Wish I'd known about this as it looks like a great event, will have to keep a note of it for next year, although it would be a hard choice this or Bealach Beag the following week.
Doing both might be a bit much for my old legs but not impossible.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
kfinlay said:
Wish I'd known about this as it looks like a great event, will have to keep a note of it for next year, although it would be a hard choice this or Bealach Beag the following week.
Doing both might be a bit much for my old legs but not impossible.
It's called training ...:biggrin:

Top Bottom