Dual sprocket Internal geared hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianMac

Hi,
does anyone know where I could get one of these, or similar?
hybrid_rear_hub.jpg

fichtel-sachs_415_trike.jpg

Thanks,
Ian

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sturmey Archer?

I've got a similar but derailleur set up on the back of my trike,

DSCN0050.JPG

with mine though there isn't a brake in the hub, the brake is on the rear 'through' axle.

OP
OP
I

ianMac

20161025_160848-67faf6747f344d4345ef837183b2be9f.jpg

Thanks. The brake is unimportant at the moment. It's the internally geared hub that I really want! It's going on this!

Last edited:

chriscross1966

Über Member
Pashley use the system on their trikes, otr at least used to. I got sprockets from them when I used a 3-speed sturmey to add gears to teh pedals on my Sinclair C5

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I thought George Longstaff used to adapt the hubs for his trikes, ie not a production item.
Yes, it looks like an unusual fixing for an extra cog onto a Shimano Nexus 3 coaster-braked hub (current model SG-3C41).

The nearest production models are probably the SA hubs which take a 9-speed cassette, such as the CS-RK3 (disc braked) or CS-RF3 (rim braked).

Edit: that's wrong: the extra cog is replacing a set of spokes = it's driving the rear axle. Oh well, I leave it here as an interesting note of hybrid hubs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes, it looks like an unusual fixing for an extra cog onto a Shimano Nexus 3 coaster-braked hub (current model SG-3C41).

The nearest production models are probably the SA hubs which take a 9-speed cassette, such as the CS-RK3 (disc braked) or CS-RF3 (rim braked).

Edit: that's wrong: the extra cog is replacing a set of spokes = it's driving the rear axle. Oh well, I leave it here as an interesting note of hybrid hubs.
The gears aren't on the drive axle, they're on a 'mid-drive' set up with a 'slave' or 'dolly chain' driving the back axle. Only trouble is if this secondary chain fails the you've no back brake.

The easiest way I can think of doing something like that is to get a hub with a disk brake.
Then machine the extra sprocket so you can bolt it to the hub in place of the brake rotor.
Easy ........ ^_^

Top Bottom