dumbass LCC bike lane on Stratford High Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
No, it was more that London's government affects far more people than only London residents, yet only residents get a vote on most of it.

I doubt that's true in general (I'm not from round here, and King's Lynn is an old port which has usually seen more coming and going than much of Norfolk), but several bits of the royal family do live in the Borough which might skew the data, although they seem to be picking from outside the aristocracy lately... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding#Royalty_and_nobility

are you getting confused between local govt like the assembly and central government ( westminister) .
the mayor is little more than a figurehead as most of what he wants has to be agreed by assembly members anyway.

Tim Hall

Wasn't the deck thing a Boris idea that was going to be in place for the Olympics?
There was a deck thing across Royal Victoria Dock to give extra pedestrian access from Pontoon Dock DLR to the Excel centre during the Olympics. It was made of 40 foot shipping containers, almost filled with concrete (so they floated at the right level), topped off with polystyrene, to make sure they couldn't flood. Some antislip decking and handrails and job done.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Actually, it's very true. One of the specific NHS pressures in King's Lynn is the very high rate of health issues related to people being too closely related...
If you're referring to the claim by Dr Ian Gibson, he said he wished he'd never said it and apologised unreservedly. If you're referring to something else, please say what.

mjr

are you getting confused between local govt like the assembly and central government ( westminister) .
No. Central government abdicates much of its responsibility for transport and especially cycling to local government. Everyone who works in London and many who don't are subjected to London's local government transport policies. A good alternative would for central government to do a proper job and put decent cycling things into the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges. If you fancy really depressing reading, go look at http://dft.gov.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/vol5/section2.htm part 4 TA 91/05. It's dated 2005, but could have been written 30 years before it, it's so backwards in most ways... and the few ways it isn't are routinely ignored, sadly.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Have done and if that is it it seems like the answer is just for the sake of the argument
Cheers

You'll find an excellent answer the first time you try the cycle path on a cold frosty morning and come off on ice as, unlike the road, the council didn't bother gritting it...

noodle

Based on?

Suit yourself but, as far as I am concerned, the arguments as to why infrastructure don't help cyclists are laid out already.

You'll find an excellent answer the first time you try the cycle path on a cold frosty morning and come off on ice as, unlike the road, the council didn't bother gritting it...

that doesnt fit either of the quotes above yours
it doesnt fit the based on question
nor does it fit into the general planning and implementation of any infrastructure
councils dont really grit for any pedestrian activity once you get out of the town centre, and they dont even grit the majority of roads so lets say you live on bronte street in st helens and are taking a short ride into the town centre you will need to ride on a road that hasnt seen the councils gritters attend for about a third of the journey on which there are no cycle routes so if you do come of you are doing it in traffic
now maybe im missing something here but am i better hitting the deck on a path as shown here or on a road with motor vehicles present

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The cars are your friends here. They've kept the road clearer for you. In winter I cycle on busier roads because they have had traffic on. It's only an issue if you are first out and there's no avoiding that.

noodle

Mine certainly is it's got heaters in it and winter tyres on all year (better on grass and mud than road tyres) plus they help keep my speed down as they are quite noisy on motorways so I stick to 55-60 ish mostly bob up a bit to overtake when needed
The cars are your friends here. They've kept the road clearer for you. In winter I cycle on busier roads because they have had traffic on. It's only an issue if you are first out and there's no avoiding that.

mjr

They're not doing a proper job, then, as it's still damn icy even on fairly busy roads. I have copies of gritting maps, I have access to a bike with much grippier tyres, I delay journeys on icy days if I can and I take it slow if I have to leave the de-iced network... but if I do ride off the salted streets, I prefer to ride where cars don't go much because the bike can cope with snow better than compacted ice and a crash there is less likely to involve a vehicle and the antics of some motor vehicles on ice are flabbergasting (skidding? spun sideways? Floor the accelerator, it'll bite eventually!).

Cambridge cycleways are salted by a quad bike - http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/directory_record/9309/no_dearth_of_the_salt_in_cambridgeshire - but the lack of snowploughs still causes complaints in deep winter.

noodle

They're not doing a proper job, then, as it's still damn icy even on fairly busy roads. I have copies of gritting maps, I have access to a bike with much grippier tyres, I delay journeys on icy days if I can and I take it slow if I have to leave the de-iced network... but if I do ride off the salted streets, I prefer to ride where cars don't go much because the bike can cope with snow better than compacted ice and a crash there is less likely to involve a vehicle and the antics of some motor vehicles on ice are flabbergasting (skidding? spun sideways? Floor the accelerator, it'll bite eventually!).
Cambridge cycleways are salted by a quad bike - http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/directory_record/9309/no_dearth_of_the_salt_in_cambridgeshire - but the lack of snowploughs still causes complaints in deep winter.
Floor it works with the right tyres in about 50% of the instances when you loose it although I think the flooring it isn't really what's happening just a loss of traction with no differential means even at low revs the wheels look like they are floori
Better not to loose it in the first place though

Last edited:
Top Bottom