Dunnet head to Lizard Point

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Sorry I have not read any of the previous threads here, but has anyone ever done a Dunnet head to Lizard Point run??

You see, John O' Groats is only the nearest town to the most northernly point (oh what about Muckle Flugga?? you'd be ****ing shocked!!) and Lizard is the most southernly point.

shirokazan

Veteran
User3143 said:
I've thought about doing a grand tour encompassing the four corners, four ends and three mountains - maybe one day...

Me too, though I can't see it happening anytime soon. :laugh:

User3143 said:
In answer you your question I have heard of people going via Dunnet head and The Lizard when doing a LEJOG
I think Anthony did this on his JOGLE (as well as doing the three peaks). Clearly, he's not one to do things by halves...:laugh:

Anthony

shirokazan said:
I think Anthony did this on his JOGLE (as well as doing the three peaks). Clearly, he's not one to do things by halves...:smile:

You are right, I went to Dunnet Head and Lizard point on my JogLe trip.

It seemed like the obvious thing to do because a side trip to Dunnet head only adds about 8 (hilly) miles to the journey and a trip to the lizard adds 20 miles. It doesn't take much extra effort to visit the most north and south points.

Dunnet head is quite rugged and desolate and much more interesting than John O'Groats. Lizard point, although touristy, offered some impressive views.

I would recommend travelling to these places if your going to do LeJog.

Have a look at my journal to see some photos and more info.

shirokazan

Veteran
Anthony said:
It seemed like the obvious thing to do because a side trip to Dunnet head only adds about 8 (hilly) miles to the journey and a trip to the lizard adds 20 miles. It doesn't take much extra effort to visit the most north and south points.

Dunnet head is quite rugged and desolate and much more interesting than John O'Groats. Lizard point, although touristy, offered some impressive views.

I would recommend travelling to these places if your going to do LeJog.

When I did my LEJOG last June, I did go to Dunnet Head and agree with your remarks. Well worth the effort and only somewhat hilly for the last 2-3 miles, if I recall correctly. I didn't go to Lizard Point as this would have added about 30 miles to my route and I decided I didn't have time for it. That said, three months later I did a tour of Cornwall and visited then.

I did all 4 cardinals on the way north on my first JOGLE trip.
The Lizard is only a slight diversion south.
The one most out of the way is Lowestoft and the most boring.
If your going up the west coast then Ardnamurchan is a short lumpy 7 miles off the Mull ferry.
Dunnet head is the closest to the main route.

Easy ........... :biggrin:

kenny444

Regular
Thank you. I suspect that we may Start in Thuros ride up to Dunnet then down the east coast we have a family home in East Yorkshire, on to Lowestoft, home to Milton Keynes and then across to the west the Lizard and then Landsend. I have a particular fondness of the fish and chips at the regent cafe at the lizard. I am planning to ride only 80 miles a day as I am 64 soon and recovering from cancer and it associated treatment. I just hope to stay dry. All hints and tips accepted gratefully. Thank you again. Ken.

Thank you. I suspect that we may Start in Thuros ride up to Dunnet then down the east coast we have a family home in East Yorkshire, on to Lowestoft, home to Milton Keynes and then across to the west the Lizard and then Landsend. I have a particular fondness of the fish and chips at the regent cafe at the lizard. I am planning to ride only 80 miles a day as I am 64 soon and recovering from cancer and it associated treatment. I just hope to stay dry. All hints and tips accepted gratefully. Thank you again. Ken.
If your doing 3 of the cardinals, you may as well do all 4.

It's only ~60 miles from Fort Bill to Ardnamurchan.
Or more scenic, round and down the west coast and/or islands.
After that its down via Mull -> Arran -> Carlisle -> Barnard Castle to east Yorkshire.

When I did my first E2E in 2000 I went via Lizard Point and Dunnet Head. I have since done; home (Worcestershire) to Lowestoft, then to Ardnamurchan and back to home. If I do similar E2E again it will be either via all the compass points or the four corners of the mainland.

kenny444

Regular
Gentlemen: I thank you very much for the input, I shall be getting the maps out, speaking with my ride companion and looking at the logistics Food sleeping and laundry etc. May you always arrive safely.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'd say visiting the Lizard adds and extra day to a trip depending on your route and distances each day. I've looked at a route I'm planning and it'd add an extra 20 miles out and 20 miles back back to the Lizard. If I decide to do that think I'd rather split that in two and stay at the Hostel at the Lizard.

Is that A road down to the Lizard busy?

I'd say visiting the Lizard adds and extra day to a trip depending on your route and distances each day. I've looked at a route I'm planning and it'd add an extra 20 miles out and 20 miles back back to the Lizard. If I decide to do that think I'd rather split that in two and stay at the Hostel at the Lizard.

Is that A road down to the Lizard busy?
It can be, depends on time of year, as usual with Cornwall.

Top Bottom