E-bike recommendation please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I've decided to treat myself soon and would like some help.

It's not that hard for me to cycle the 6.5 miles to work but it is arduous, a sort of cross city training facility for a fitter younger guy! It's split into thirds, a long decline followed by some flat, then a long v.steep incline, it's tough but the main problem is that winter or summer, I arrive in a sweaty mess. Add on walking many miles a shift and I can get tired out and often regret taking the cycle in.

Maybe a budget of £2k (but not fixed)? My normal cycling is mainly towpath/trail on a hybrid plus touring and long day rides in the Dales on my audax bike, all at plodding pace. I am totally uninterested in fat tyred MTB type cycles and I don't really need or want any suspension.

But I don't want to spend £2k on just a commuter, the bike must lend itself to enabling me to go further and making my day rides longer, should I wish to use it.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've decided to treat myself soon and would like some help.

It's not that hard for me to cycle the 6.5 miles to work but it is arduous, a sort of cross city training facility for a fitter younger guy! It's split into thirds, a long decline followed by some flat, then a long v.steep incline, it's tough but the main problem is that winter or summer, I arrive in a sweaty mess. Add on walking many miles a shift and I can get tired out and often regret taking the cycle in.

Maybe a budget of £2k (but not fixed)? My normal cycling is mainly towpath/trail on a hybrid plus touring and long day rides in the Dales on my audax bike, all at plodding pace. I am totally uninterested in fat tyred MTB type cycles and I don't really need or want any suspension.

But I don't want to spend £2k on just a commuter, the bike must lend itself to enabling me to go further and making my day rides longer, should I wish to use it.
Cube acid......got two of them myself and they are a cracking bike and less than 2k with a 500wh battery

jowwy

Look to all have suspension?
Be tough to find an ebike without.....but it’s easy to swap out the suspension forks for carbon or steel forks which is what I did with mine and still be less than 2k

jowwy

cube acid, carbon forks, rack and 47mm tyres and 500wh battery..........all less than 2k

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I had a Wisper 905 (or something). Only had front suspension but you could adjust it to (near) lockout. Front discs were Tektro which I upgraded to Avid BB5 I think. I could have just put better pads in I suppose, they were fine but I wanted better stopping power in the wet. It had built in lights that ran off the battery, and mudguards.

A very nice and comfy bike, battery was good for 45 miles of hilly terrain, but they cost over £500. Support was excellent, my battery wasn't charging after a year of solid use (5 days a week minimum). They sent me a new charger, that didn't work. So they sent me a new battery even though the warranty had expired by 3 days. Oh and they sent me some new spokes which had snapped (but I never checked or adjusted them so might have been lack of maintenance). It also had a pannier which i fitted a small to pbox to, very handy and IME better than bags.

Edit: Looks like they don't do the downtube batteries now, the newer ones seem to sit on the rear rack which I don't like (it uses up space that could otherwise be used for luggage)

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had a Wisper 905 (or something). Only had front suspension but you could adjust it to (near) lockout. Front discs were Tektro which I upgraded to Avid BB5 I think. I could have just put better pads in I suppose, they were fine but I wanted better stopping power in the wet. It had built in lights that ran off the battery, and mudguards.

A very nice and comfy bike, battery was good for 45 miles of hilly terrain, but they cost over £500. Support was excellent, my battery wasn't charging after a year of solid use (5 days a week minimum). They sent me a new charger, that didn't work. So they sent me a new battery even though the warranty had expired by 3 days. Oh and they sent me some new spokes which had snapped (but I never checked or adjusted them so might have been lack of maintenance). It also had a pannier which i fitted a small to pbox to, very handy and IME better than bags.

Edit: Looks like they don't do the downtube batteries now, the newer ones seem to sit on the rear rack which I don't like (it uses up space that could otherwise be used for luggage)
Not sure if they're available for your bike but the kit on mine (and Maz') has a 'double decker' rack where the battery sits in a slot under the top leaving that free to stick bags etc. on.

You can just see it sticking out a bit under the flat top, the controller sits in a little compartment at the front of the rack and stays in place when the battery is unlocked and removed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ebikes without suspension are rare, but Evans has the answer.

Their Pinnacle Lithium ebike has a rigid fork and the Shimano Steps motor which is very similar in operation to the Bosch motor.

Lots of frame clearance, though the fitted 2" Conti Speed tyres should be suitable for your use.

Not the biggest battery, but it should do you 40 miles or so if you put some effort in and don't try to beast too many hills.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-ion-2020-electric-hybrid-bike-EV353459

D

Deleted member 26715

Cube acid......got two of them myself and they are a cracking bike and less than 2k with a 500wh battery
Look to all have suspension?
Another vote for the Acid, I have a 2020 model with 500W battery £1600, not sure what the reference to suspension means, do you mean you don't want one with it, or you think it's not up to scratch, I fitted a SR SUNTOUR SP12-NCX Suspension Seat post to assist my comfort.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Another vote for the Acid, I have a 2020 model with 500W battery £1600, not sure what the reference to suspension means, do you mean you don't want one with it, or you think it's not up to scratch, I fitted a SR SUNTOUR SP12-NCX Suspension Seat post to assist my comfort.

I don't want any suspension, the e-bike will only do what l do already & I've never needed it.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't want any suspension, the e-bike will only do what l do already & I've never needed it.
Ah okay, I find it helps, but I ride off road a lot, I must admit on the Cube Attention non Ebike I lock out the forks when in the road, but still like a bit of bounce in the saddle, so have another sprung post.

Top Bottom