e2e very cheap (on dole)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thiswayup

Hi, i want to do the e2e but bnb and yhas are out i have bivvy bag,mat
and cooking gear and sleeping bag.
I dont mind roughing it and sleeping wild.
When i used to hitch a lot i have slept in bus shelters and other covered areas with no problem.
Has anyone else done it this way.
regards mick.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Someone on the CTC forum recently did this - have a look there:
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=22

e-rider

crappy member
A bivvy would be OK but I'd organise it quickly before the bad weather arrives for autumn! Make sure you have enough money for food and emergencies (broken bike, train ticket home if you get injured in crash etc.)

screenman

Legendary Member
Good job you only have to sign on every 14 days. I wish I got paid to ride my bike, sponsored by the government maybe the could get a team in the tour.

Bandini

screenman said:
Good job you only have to sign on every 14 days. I wish I got paid to ride my bike, sponsored by the government maybe the could get a team in the tour.

Yeah - must be great being on the dole. Let's hope your wish comes true, you lose your job tomorrow, and then you can join in the fun! And remember don't try to do anything to break the relentless, soul crushing monotony - even if it is free, harmless, healthy and self improving. Just stay at home and blame the government/immigrants - whoever made you unemployed....but a 'different' unemployed - not like these layabouts.

And then you could commit a crime and get a stay in those luxury hotels that criminals stay in nowadays. I have heard that they even give immigrant drug dealers a butler and a mobile phone.

Good luck with your ride This Way.

dodss

Veteran
Careful,don't you have to be available for work to get the job seekers allowance.Finishing will look good on the cv shows initiative and drive.

Bandini said:
Yeah - must be great being on the dole. Let's hope your wish comes true, you lose your job tomorrow, and then you can join in the fun! And remember don't try to do anything to break the relentless, soul crushing monotony - even if it is free, harmless, healthy and self improving. Just stay at home and blame the government/immigrants - whoever made you unemployed....but a 'different' unemployed - not like these layabouts.

And then you could commit a crime and get a stay in those luxury hotels that criminals stay in nowadays. I have heard that they even give immigrant drug dealers a butler and a mobile phone.

Well said but remember, cut him a bit of slack, the cheap gibes are the easiest, they don't require thought or empathy.

wyno70

I assume from the above that you are lucky enough to have never been unemployed!

As mentioned above, the cheap jibes are the easiest but maybe a bit of thought for those less fortunate might be good!

yenrod

Bandini said:

Bandy - what planet are you on - you need some reality of the true course of life !

good luck with the ride.
it's all very well criticizing the unemployed until you find yourself in that position. then you realise that i's not a life of luxury with money to burn. there are two sides to unemployment, the real one where you exist and the government fantasy propaganda version where you have loads of money and live in a mansion.
something like this will look good to a future employer, pity the government and some others are too short sighted to see it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
thiswayup said:
Hi, i want to do the e2e but bnb and yhas are out i have bivvy bag,mat
and cooking gear and sleeping bag.
I dont mind roughing it and sleeping wild.
When i used to hitch a lot i have slept in bus shelters and other covered areas with no problem.
Has anyone else done it this way.
regards mick.
sort of. But a long time ago. London to JoG three times. Sleeping by the side of the road, or in a field in a sleeping bag and bin liner (bivvybags - luxury, lad). No cycling kit, just plimsolls and jeans tucked in to long socks. Spent the night in Thurso railways station once. I was a farmworker with a young family.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just to clear matters on this, I have been unemployed although only for 2 weeks after being laid off, a long time ago, I have also been homeless and really homeless with a wife and a two month old baby, and the only room on offer from social services had been smeared in sxxt by the previous tennant as a joke.

I just feel that time spent when unemployed should be spent looking for employment not taking holidays.

Been self employed now for 35 years, and believe me at times that is like being unemployed, except the government is not giving out money.

Top Bottom