Earls court cycle show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Anyone here?

Credit goes to swilson for his offer of the free ticket. Already met a couple of cc'ers on the velo stall.

There seems to be far too manu stalls promoting electric bikes IMO. Including one where the owner is a pretty large guy. Not a good endorsment for healthy activity.

Went up yesterday and I was a bit disappointed with the show personally. Nowhere near the same number of exhibitors as last year and the retail zone was a bit of a joke really. I saw most of what I wanted to see, but there was nothing really "wow" or maybe I've become a bit jaded after seeing yet another fixed bike exhibit. ;)

Cranky

I went yesterday, too, and also noticed the prominence of electric and fixed bikes. I expected to be there all day but saw everything I found of interest in 2.5 hours (including short break for lunch).

The most useful info was on:

1. the new Memory Map GPS unit (a claimed minimum of 8 hours battery life per charge), which I will seriously consider buying at some point as I already use their software.

2. KCNC lightweight components which were very impressive (and not all expensive), some of which I will probably use for my new bike project.

In addition, I drooled over the lovely retro Pashleys which I have always had a soft spot for and which looked gorgeous under the exhibition lights.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Went on Saturday. I quite enjoyed it. The highlight was Pashley's prototype of a fixed-wheel, three-speed retro racer.

I was quite intrigued by the Big Fish folding bike. Not that it was particularly practical, just stylish.

Otherwise I enjoyed drooling over the Moulton bikes, and though not particularly exotic, I also liked some of Ridgeback's offerings.

Lastly, there was a titanium, small-wheeled, demountable racer, which looked very fast and very expensive (Qoroz I think).

There were quite a few electric bikes this year, and also a lot of fixed-wheels.

Oh, and there was a leather briefcase that fitted onto a Brompton pannier bracket.

chap

Veteran
All I wanted to see were Brompton's new offerings for 2010, and the Tfl presentation for their public bike scheme (Summer 2010). However, I already know what Brompton are offering, and Tfl are hardly going to keep things hush hush.

So instead of wasting £10, I bought a bottle of Gin, and with a friend had G&T's.

BigSteev

Quite enjoyed it. Going on Friday meant it was less crowded so got to play on a lot of things. Loved Shimano's Di2 electronic changers, very easy and smooth - the complete opposite of the horrible clunky SRAM stuff. Shame Shimano cranks are so ugly. Fortunately, the Rotor ones are lovely instead. Got to meet God for the first time since I was 10 and had a quick chat with him about that.
Funniest bit for me was as I arrived watching some angry Brompton rider complaining that he should me able to put his bike in the cloakroom rather than having to put it in the excellently run 'Brompton' bike park. He looked at me as if expecting some sort of support while he continued ranting so I told him to stop being a twat and that it wasn't my fault he'd chosen to ride such a stupid bike. He seemed surprised.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
I went as I got free tickets. My companion and I were disappointed at the lack of offers in the sales section. We were pleased with the amount of nice clothing offered for women but, as usual, all the really nice stuff was so overpriced as to be obscene.

Oh and the BMX show was good, but those boys need to wear some sensible trousers. Pants out everywhere!

Origamist

Legendary Member
joolsybools said:
Yes there was, I presume they do it every year? It could do with being a bit bigger though...

The test track had a blue superhighway (a flashy term for a cycle lane) painted along part of it's length - most people ignored this blue lane...

I went and was very disappointed with it, compared with last year it was dead, numbers of people on the Sunday was a laugh at times, I'd have expected loads more, but I guess this is a sign of the economic times.

As for deals and buying stuff well after last year I knew it wouldn't happen, its a show not a sale event.

I can't see me bothering next year, maybe one overseas that ties in with a holiday or something.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Got an OK pair of arm warmers and some track mitts, the retail day was not entirely wasted.

The Earls Court Pizza Express branch is the worst I've ever eaten in, though

Gromit

Über Member
Over priced bike aimed at road racers, mountain bikers, and BMX, nothing really for the ordenary person on a mediocre budget, only wanting to commute. No recumbents, nothing fun at all. Compaired to the shows in Germany, it was boring.

When will people learn that its not fun to hurt yourself going flat out on a bike? And the glazed looks on peoples faces when you mentioned commuting or going out on fun rides with friends to the pub.

London cycle show puts people off going out on bikes because they think its too sporty or too expensive.

Top Bottom