Early Green Light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D-Rider

Hi folks,

I'm new in here and recently returned to regular cycle commuting after ...errmm... about 18 years..

Anyway, 18 years ago I cycled like an absolute loon - RLJing, wrong way up one way streets, on and off the pavement, speeding and overtaking road users who weren't etc. Everyone on this forum would have hated me! Although I did have lights on the bike..... :sad:

Fortunately, I'm now a more experienced road user both in car and on motorcycle and have returned to cycling with a much improved attitude!

I no longer RLJ (or any of the above offences). However, I have seen the view expressed (elsewhere) that it can be acceptable to "take an early green light". I.e. It's a green man, the pedestrians have cleared, it's your turn next so why not get a head start on the vehicles behind you?

I've pretty much resolved to be patient and wait for the green light although I can see some situations (mainly uphill) where taking off a few seconds ahead of traffic might be desireable.

I'm curious as to the concensus of opinion on the forum?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
That's what ASLs are for. Otherwise I'd really rather you didn't but it's not something to get overly worked up about as is the case with RLJing in general.

at pedestrian crossings I'll keep a look out for when the green man has gone and then i'll be getting ready to start / starting works out that i'm moving moments before the orange light

do a similar thing at traffic lights too, just keep an eye on when traffic stops, but you have to know the sequence of lights to do it.

thomas

the tank engine
Yeah, I do that to a degree. I wouldn't leave the crossing until amber starts though, however preparing like that means you can leave the junction quicker which can only be good!

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you look and think ahead, you can be ready off the line on green faster than most cars - at junctions for example, watch for the opposing light changing to red. Get set for go then. My driving instructer taught me that trick, so that you can have the gear in 1st and ready with the biting point and handbrake...

gavintc

Guru
On a road you ride regularly, you learn the sequence and it allows that 1/2 sec jump on the light. I find it gets me ahead and across before 2 lanes of accelerating cars are onto me. I hate accelerating alongside the cars and generally like to have a bit of space.

Oh and welcome - another Edinburgh cyclist.

purplepolly

D-Rider said:
although I can see some situations (mainly uphill) where taking off a few seconds ahead of traffic might be desireable.

I can see advantages to that if it were legal, but as it is you would run the risk of irritating drivers waiting behind you at the lights, some of whom are just plain bl**dy minded.

thomas

the tank engine
Yep...you can definitely get ahead of cars by doing it...or get away from the line quicker...then they just put their foot down (but you catch them a minute later in traffic ;)).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's a bad idea, IMO. Just as bad as those idiot cyclists who go ahead of teh stop line and then fail to get going quickly when the lights change, usually because they can't see them any more.

Much better is to be behind the first or second car in the queue, in the middle of the lane. Then you can move off in a relaxed fashion with no conflict or fuss, and drop to secondary once you're past the crossing and it's safe to do so.

Gavintc, you shouldn't be next to cars over a crossing/junction like this, it's usually best to be in primary. Junctions are where the most collisions occur, so it's a bad idea to be in secondary across them.

gavintc said:
On a road you ride regularly, you learn the sequence and it allows that 1/2 sec jump on the light. I find it gets me ahead and across before 2 lanes of accelerating cars are onto me. I hate accelerating alongside the cars and generally like to have a bit of space.

Oh and welcome - another Edinburgh cyclist.
+ 1 I've found that I can out anticipate/ react better to the green than cars, either that I just wait behind them and let them clear the path of peds. I used to do what the OP suggested when I lived in Dublin and to be honest I found it just wasn't worth it, didn't gain much and aggro from peds. If you need to get across 2 lanes do it when the lights are red/ before you stop take the middle of the lane avoiding the need to accelerate immediately beside cars.

And as gavin says welcome to the forum and Edinburgh commuting.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
D-Rider said:
I've pretty much resolved to be patient and wait for the green light although I can see some situations (mainly uphill) where taking off a few seconds ahead of traffic might be desireable.

I can only think of on place where I felt it of value to get ahead of the traffic, it was on my old commute and yes it was up hill. On occasions where I felt it was called for I jumped off the bike and walked (or ran) across the crossing then jumped back on the other side, but for the most part it is not really worth it...

Arch

Married to Night Train
hackbike 666 said:
at junctions for example, watch for the opposing light changing to red.

Eh? Rocket Science?:birthday:

I mean, if you are at a red, look to see if you can see the lights controlling the crossing or joining road. When they go red, you get ready to go. You can also look for the change of green man to red, if there is a pedestrian crossing. It means you are ready to move off sooner than someone who just watches their own light and nothing else.

I thought it made sense, sorry.

I'm with BM on this one. I don't see the point of advanced lights. I generally sit one or two cars back unless I arrive at the lights first. If you take the lane correctly across the junction you very rarely have problems. If you do have problems then you have 'escape' space.

Top Bottom