1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

East Anglia: maps

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by palinurus, 29 Jun 2008.

1. palinurus

palinurus Guru

Time for another badly-organised tour I think.

Maybe wales. But I always go to Wales.

But maybe East Anglia- it's close, and yet I don't know the area well. Maybe get a train out to Peterborough and cycle back, roughly following the coast.

Too many OS maps to consider that so I'm after tips on useful maps of that area.

Goldeneye cover the region in two maps- looks like a good bet to me, anyone got any other ideas etc?

2. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

Peterborough isn't on the coast I am afraid - I wouldn't use that particular map

3. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I used the two goldeneye maps on my tour there last 'summer'. They do the job fine, but dont rely on th elaminate watrerproof thing holding up to our summer weather, you'll need them in a polybag as well!

Also take a list of campsites if you are camping...these maps do not mark all of the sites.

4. OP
    OP
    palinurus

palinurus Guru

There'd be a bit of riding to do first and I get to see the sea a bit later. It's just makes for a nice opening, something to look forward to on the first day.

5. OP
    OP
    palinurus

palinurus Guru

Cheers. Thanks for the campsite tip. Haven't decided whether or not to camp yet- depends on whether I can get the old MTB I lent to someone back, and if so get it fixed up ready. Otherwise it'll be one of the roadbikes with a beam rack and I'll hostel/B&B it.

6. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

A good hostel is to be found at burnham deepdale up near Burnham on sea wells area...not yha but its clean friendly and well run.

7. bazzerp

bazzerp New Member

The Goldeneye maps are great.

From Peterbro you have a long sprint for Kings Lynn, & then just north of it.

Burnham Deepdale is a long ride, but very good. Try the Kings Lynn area, or just north.

8. bazzerp

bazzerp New Member

Hunstanton is tame but nice ;-)

9. OP
    OP
    palinurus

palinurus Guru

Got my maps and train ticket, bike reservation. Route partly planned- although there's going to be a lot of making it up as I go along. It'll be hostels and B&B and the road bike with a seatpost rack and minimal kit (the MTB has been rather mistreated unfortunately). Nothing booked- I've left it open so I can do whatever mileage I feel like each day.

Basically Peterboro'- Kings Lynn, then work my way around- going thru' tame-but-nice Hunstanton- very roughly following the coast but with some inland excursions, turn inwards after felixstowe and ride back home from there.

Almost gave up the idea and went somewhere hilly but I do want to explore the area.