Easton headset adjuster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Got some Easton forks with a carbon steerer. They don't come with an expanding bung thingy, but they do include a device I've never seen before called a Headset Adjuster. This is a bear-trap expanding thing, adjustable by allen key, that sits under the stem like a spacer. There is also a plastic top-cap included that has no function other than plugging the hole. Am I to take it that this is all I need to keep everything in place? Is anyone else running just one of these things instead of a bung? They look a bit weird... :laugh:

rich p

ridiculous old lush

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
rich p said:

Thanks Rich - that's a good link. My hunch is to go with an expander plug - I don't like the look of this thing anyway and adjusting it constantly sounds like a right pain in the arse. Besides, I'm on the ham-fisted side when it comes to very tiny allen bolts - it's a 2.5mm. I could do with twenty quid for every one of the damn things I've rounded off...

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Hello tc
I've also got some ec90 slx forks on my lightspeed and on the first couple of rides that adjuster worked loose after a couple of miles. So i bought a reynolds compression plug and it's still tight a year later.
tc1

what frame are you putting the forks on?

theclaud said:
Thanks Rich - that's a good link. My hunch is to go with an expander plug - I don't like the look of this thing anyway and adjusting it constantly sounds like a right pain in the arse. Besides, I'm on the ham-fisted side when it comes to very tiny allen bolts - it's a 2.5mm. I could do with twenty quid for every one of the damn things I've rounded off...

We Know xx(

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
topcat1 said:
Hello tc
I've also got some ec90 slx forks on my lightspeed and on the first couple of rides that adjuster worked loose after a couple of miles. So i bought a reynolds compression plug and it's still tight a year later.
tc1

what frame are you putting the forks on?

Hellair tc1! It's an unbranded, unpainted frame (in keeping with my understated approach to everything :smile:) that I've polished. Should look nice with the Easton forks. Might bring it on the next FNRttC if it looks like being dry... I'm going to go for the plug. I tried setting it up with the bear-trap thingy and it looks all wrong...

Top Bottom