Easyjet to Grenoble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Bit of a long shot but does anyone know if they fly there in the summer or is it a ski flight? The schedules only go up to April and it's not clear if that's because they don't operate it in the warmer months.
I've emailed them but not got an answer.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think it's a ski flight...lots of airlines do similar routes to Salzburg and Chambery etc. Boo....

I've been looking at lots of flights for the summer, you can get BA Heathrow to Geneva, Lyon or Nice for around £140.00 with lots of time options and no extra charge for the bike.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
ASC1951 said:
Telephone? :smile:

Have you ever tried phoning Easyjet? It's a labour of Hercules and tries ones patience. It takes long enough to find a number! They really don't want to speak to you in person.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dave Davenport said:
I've been looking at lots of flights for the summer, you can get BA Heathrow to Geneva, Lyon or Nice for around £140.00 with lots of time options and no extra charge for the bike.

Yes, I think Lyon or possibly Turin are going to be the answer. I prefer BA anyway for the hassle-free and money free bike option!

andym

Über Member
rich p said:
Yes, I think Lyon or possibly Turin are going to be the answer. I prefer BA anyway for the hassle-free and money free bike option!

Erm I'm sure someone must fly to Grenoble, but if no one does, and if that's your destination, have you thought about going by train? 6 hour journey time from London - that's got to be quicker than going to Lyon or Turin and then transferring to Grenoble.

andym said:
Erm I'm sure someone must fly to Grenoble, but if no one does, and if that's your destination, have you thought about going by train? 6 hour journey time from London - that's got to be quicker than going to Lyon or Turin and then transferring to Grenoble.

I was looking at the train option as I would prefer it to flying. Trouble is you've still got to box or bag the bike to go on the TGV and get it, along with the rest of your gear across London & Paris. The price & overall time are quite comprable though. If you could take a built up bike on a TGV I'd pay the extra £50 for the bike on Eurostar and do that.

By the way Rich, you were in the Loire at the same time as us last year, are we likely to be seeing you in the alps this August?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've got hold of EJ and it's a winter flight only. BA don't fly to Lyon from Gatwick so my option is LGw to Turin at the moment. The train is just too much aggro as Dave says for 5 of us on the Eurostar/TGV and getting from one side of Paris to the other. Plus having to get to London St Pancras early am.
I could drive but then on a 5 day trip you're effectively ruling out the first and last day. last year we got an early flight to Marseille and were doing a ride in deepest Provence by early afternoon.

Dave this is just a men's piss up trip really with 3 days on the bikes thrown in to get us thirsty. My trip with Mrs rich p this summer is to Slovenia so unless one of us gets badly lost we won't cross paths this year! I look forward to your write-up of the alpine trip though.

rich p said:
p.s. BA to Turin in June is only £118 which may be worth you looking at Dave

I think we've settled on Nice, might fancy a day or two on the beach at the end.

I did a short write up of our Loire trip for our club autumn news letter if you want to compare notes; www.sotonia.co.uk although re-reading it just now it sounds more like a piss up report!

andym

Über Member
Dave Davenport said:
I was looking at the train option as I would prefer it to flying. Trouble is you've still got to box or bag the bike to go on the TGV and get it, along with the rest of your gear across London & Paris. The price & overall time are quite comprable though. If you could take a built up bike on a TGV I'd pay the extra £50 for the bike on Eurostar and do that.

The change in Paris is actually pretty easy. Gare du Nord by RER to Chatelet les Halles then RER again to Gare du Lyon. 15 mins tops.

If changing in Paris is an issue, (and I prefer to avoid it if I can) there's a useful service that goes from Lille Europe all the way to Marseille via Lyon - unfortunately it's not much help going to Grenoble.

You can also take unpackaged bags on sleeper trains which serve a wide range of destinations - but unfortunately not to Grenoble (with a 3 hour journey time who would bother with a sleeper?

Oh and flying doesn't involve stress and aggro? Pull the other one.

andym said:
The change in Paris is actually pretty easy. Gare du Nord by RER to Chatelet les Halles then RER again to Gare du Lyon. 15 mins tops.

If changing in Paris is an issue, (and I prefer to avoid it if I can) there's a useful service that goes from Lille Europe all the way to Marseille via Lyon - unfortunately it's not much help going to Grenoble.

You can also take unpackaged bags on sleeper trains which serve a wide range of destinations - but unfortunately not to Grenoble (with a 3 hour journey time who would bother with a sleeper?

Oh and flying doesn't involve stress and aggro? Pull the other one.

OK the choice is;

Whilst carrying two tourers broken down & bagged up plus panniers, tent etc. and bearing in mind mrs d is 5'1";

Lift / taxi home to railway station
home station to waterloo
waterloo - st pancras
eurostar to paris
Gare du Nord by RER to Chatelet les Halles then RER again to Gare du Lyon.
Gare du lyon to grenoble

Or
lift to Heathrow (about an hour)
fly to nice (or lyon if we want to be closer)
cycle towards grenoble (might get there, might not, we like to make it up as we go along)

Like i said, if we could take built up bikes all the way on the train and so be able to cycle from home and between stations we would, we've used french local trains and generally think trains are the second best form of transport after bikes (ships are third).

And i don't remember saying flying was either stress or aggro free??

andym

Über Member
Dave

I was simply saying that the transfer across Paris is not as difficult as you were making it out to be - after all you did cite this as the main reason for not taking the train (and this is something that people often say). I can accept that the convenience or otherwise of the train vs the plane depends on how easy or difficult it is to get to the airport compared with St Pancras.

The environmentally responsible options are generally a lot more convenient than people like to think they are.

Top Bottom