Eating dust!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

owpman

On my commute into work this morning I got left standing by a fairly ordinary looking MTB carrying a decent sized bloke and paniers, despite my best efforts (out of the saddle pushing 25-30 mph, my pride wouldnt let me let it go) i couldnt keep pace and i cannot figure out why?

the guy was sat bolt up right and looked to be making hardly any effort, the only clue i have was that the rider was wearing a full face helment, winter biking gear and an odd looking front wheel hub (the best i can desribed is it looked like and old motor bike drum brake)

so my question is, what the hellis going on? is there some sort of motorized wheel hub out there or am i really that unfit?

Scratch

Über Member
Happened to me the other day, had a closer look and it was an electric assisted bike.

I overtook him on the flat and just thought it was a guy on a hybrid bike so when he blew past me on a steep hill a little later I was a bit surprised but noticed his rear hub was all strange due to the electric motor.

I think it was one of these; http://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/...es/long-range/wisper-905se-city/prod_619.html

Looks like a normal bike from behind with panniers.

Maybe they should have warning notices on them so they don't demorilise people on normal bikes too much B)

biking_fox

Guru
The motor on an electric bike is limited to 15mph - anything above that is solely leg power - with all the dead weight of a motor to carry too.

Riding everyday for years makes a massive difference.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
biking_fox said:
The motor on an electric bike is limited to 15mph - anything above that is solely leg power - with all the dead weight of a motor to carry too.

Riding everyday for years makes a massive difference.

So my flat, even surface, road cruise solo can hold at 22 ,23 at comfort exertion .. means I can add another 15 to that... 37mph ..? cool
must get me one

StuartG

slower but further
I believe the 15 mph limiter can be easily got around - though this does makes the bike illegal - or is it the rider?

My friend has one in Copenhagen. The only way he can keep up with the locals on their sit up and begs!

Top Bottom