Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porteous

Veteran
photostream

On FleaBay now. This looks very like a 48/49 Rudge Clubman with the frame in good original paint. It also has the right stem, but the wrong bars, and cyclo 3 speed. wheels may also be original (dunlop SS ?). Standing at £30 at the time of writing, with 2 days to go. Might be a bargain for someone: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rudge-bik...=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35b87043af#ht_500wt_959

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well spotted

pubrunner

Legendary Member
£30 and only one bid - the parts are worth quite a bit more than that.

You'd get most of that back just for the saddle.

Camrider

The seller is a bit of a fool for accepting Paypal for something that is to be collected, as he could easily end up with no bike and no money.

Camrider

He does not mention CoC and on the payment details it says PP preferred. There is a scam where a buyer collects pays by PP then claims the item as not being received and as the only proof of delivery PP and Ebay accept is a tracked delivery system such as recorded or special delivery the seller will lose.

As Ebay insist that you must offer PP even if the item is collection only, I will not use Ebay for such items unless its something cheap and bulky I just want rid of.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Do you think it might be an idea to add to the thread some sort of agreement that if someone is going to bid on an item highlighted that they let others know so this isn't a CC bidding war, maybe first to post confirmirming they are bidding ? Just a thought....

Camrider

Admittedly, this is unlikely to happen for an old bike but the amount of work involved is minimal.

C

chillyuk

Do you think it might be an idea to add to the thread some sort of agreement that if someone is going to bid on an item highlighted that they let others know so this isn't a CC bidding war, maybe first to post confirmirming they are bidding ? Just a thought....

A nice idea in principle, but I doubt it would work in reality. Ebay is a market just like any other market place, and if I see something I want I am not going to stand aside without good reason for someone else to get the item. Neither would I come on here and tell everyone what I am bidding on for the very reason not to start a bidding war.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
He does not mention CoC and on the payment details it says PP preferred. There is a scam where a buyer collects pays by PP then claims the item as not being received and as the only proof of delivery PP and Ebay accept is a tracked delivery system such as recorded or special delivery the seller will lose.

As Ebay insist that you must offer PP even if the item is collection only, I will not use Ebay for such items unless its something cheap and bulky I just want rid of. As Ebay insist that you must offer PP even if the item is collection only, I will not use Ebay for such items unless its something cheap and bulky I just want rid of.

So having stated that a deposit is to be paid via Paypal, the seller is then also going to want the balance paid through Paypal rather than cash on collection? Why specify that a deposit is to be paid in one way if the balance isn't to be paid in another?

As you yourself noted, it is a requirement that Paypal is offered as a method of payment: all adverts state that Paypal is preferred.

Paypal and Ebay will only accept some sort of postal receipt for an item that has been collected? Nonsense: so a written receipt that is enough to demonstrate the right of possession in law, wouldn't satisfy them?

Is there really such a scam or is it just a scare story floating around the internet being repeated by people who haven't thought it through?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
So I can't bid on something because someone's said "dibs"?

I don't think so.

Camrider

so a written receipt that is enough to demonstrate the right of possession in law, wouldn't satisfy them?

No it is not, you have to provide proof of delivery and the only proof they accept is tracking from Royal Mail or some other carrier. The only exception is for motor vehicles.

Is there really such a scam or is it just a scare story floating around the internet being repeated by people who haven't thought it through?

It is no scare story, just go to the sellers forum on Ebay and find out. Of course if someone did this to you you could take legal action against them, but that would be a right pain, and if the person collecting has actually hacked an account to win the item then you don't even have this option. There was a big scam just before Christmas with winners of expensive phones saying they needed the item urgently and could they collect several people lost lots of money.

If I had a big item that could not be posted I would use Gumtree not Ebay.

Chris-H

Über Member
i'
No it is not, you have to provide proof of delivery and the only proof they accept is tracking from Royal Mail or some other carrier. The only exception is for motor vehicles.

It is no scare story, just go to the sellers forum on Ebay and find out. Of course if someone did this to you you could take legal action against them, but that would be a right pain, and if the person collecting has actually hacked an account to win the item then you don't even have this option. There was a big scam just before Christmas with winners of expensive phones saying they needed the item urgently and could they collect several people lost lots of money.

If I had a big item that could not be posted I would use Gumtree not Ebay.
i've sold a fair bit on ebay and on the listings page is the choice to change postage options,in those options is the option for local collection only,irreleveant of the items size.

Top Bottom