eBikes are just fun!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Some very interesting findings to me today after a hard ride on my eHybrid bike with some aero bars fitted……

1: Make sure your mini pump works, the ride was cut short by a puncture, no problems got the tyre off, new inner tube fitted, than realised the mini pump wasn’t working….had to call for a pick up!

2: Aero really does make a difference, with the aero bars I was able to get within 1mph of my road bike with drops on a relative flat section. I can see why TT bikes are needed if you really want to hit a fast average speed.

50312126567_3aaf6f4f69_z.jpg

3: Even though my eBike is considered to have a ‘weak’ 250Watts motor it makes mince meat out of hill, smashed my PB on a 8% climb which I only recently managed to get close to my previous PB set when I was 7 years

50311286588_e47ebbc3e6_z.jpg

4: eBikes have a surprising amount of range when your trying to smash it on the road, I used 37% charge on my Boardman which has a relatively small 250watt/hr battery to cover 21 miles with a reasonable amount of climbing at over 18mph average. So in theory 100-0% on the battery should cover over 50 miles of range easily, and nearly 3000ft of climbing.

50311285243_aba542a815_z.jpg

5: eBikes are just fun, now that I can get into an aero position on my hybrid, I can see my self hardly touching my road bike over the winter. Up until the puncture, todays ride was one of the most fun I’ve done in a while, my legs also still aches like crazy as you would expect from trying to push a near 20kg bike at a reasonable pace over 20 miles.

50311983222_d864f63e46_b.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't forget to log your bike as an ebike on strava as some busy body might flag you ! It happens, even if it's just for your records.

I can well believe they're fun, and that might persuade me to get one one day.

But unless your previous PBs were on an electric bike you have not really broken any PB, just set a new e-PB.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Did they throw nettles at you? :whistle:
The stinging was wholly metaphorical... I know I mustn't feel put out when an e-bike passes me, and I know, I know, it gets people out, and I'll need one myself one day, but it's virtually impossible when toiling, human versus gravity, to stop the inner voice saying "GIT!" when passed by someone having a better (and easier) time than you. 😄

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
mjmn
I can well believe they're fun, and that might persuade me to get one one day.

But unless your previous PBs were on an electric bike you have not really broken any PB, just set a new e-PB.

Last time I checked cycling was more about having fun than actual times :smile:.

Absolutely loved the ride today, I've been undecided about what my next road bike purchase should be, I was looking at a £3-4k Emonda SLR, but am now 100% going for a Fauza motor powered Domane.

My legs currently feel as knackered as they do after a normal ride, maybe even more so. The motor cuts out at 15.5mph, so for the majority of the ride the motor wasn't doing anything, so if anything they were a good training ballast :smile:.

mjmn

Last time I checked cycling was more about having fun than actual times :smile:.

Absolutely loved the ride today, I've been undecided about what my next road bike purchase should be, I was looking at a £3-4k Emonda SLR, but am now 100% going for a Fauza motor powered Domane.

My legs currently feel as knackered as they do after a normal ride, maybe even more so. The motor cuts out at 15.5mph, so for the majority of the ride the motor wasn't doing anything, so if anything they were a good training ballast :smile:.

As you say,it is all about the fun, and i will never knock having an e-bike.

I'm not arguing that you can still work hard on an e-bike, and to keep up 18+ mph on a heavy bike is good going, but you cannot validly compare times, even though the motor is only used part of the time, especially if some of that use is uphill.

Enjoy the bike :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
at over 18mph average.

On average you aren't using the motor at all, so your battery range should theoretically be infinite.

I doubt there are many people who are considering an ebike who could manage what you did.

You are right to push it, because if you relied more on the motor by staying under 15.5mph, you would quickly lose a lot of your cycling fitness.

The light assist/small battery ebikes such as yours suit some riders, but most of us would want a bigger battery and a pokier motor.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Im really not sure why they bleat, because its going to be one hell of a vertical uphill where the KoM is under 15.5 mph!
I did get bollocked by Strava a few days ago... I finished my embarrassingly slow ride, lashed the bike to the car roof, and set off home at 70mph down the A1. Without pressing "Finish" on Strava.
"Hang on sir" said Strava, "this doesn't seem quite legit". (About 75 KOMs "smashed"). 😄
Cue awkward vehicle section cropping.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Annoyingly the puncture happened about 3 miles from home with a -1% overall gradient, I recon I could have got close to 19 mph average....on what is essentially a commuter bike with mudguards, light/lock mounts etc :smile:.

On a light weight and stiff carbon frame, more aero position to start off with these things will be like flying machines, 20mph average over rolling terrain cannot be far off.....Now how do I even get close to justifying spending £6k on pedals bikes in 6 months :rolleyes:.

Slick

Guru
I did get bollocked by Strava a few days ago... I finished my embarrassingly slow ride, lashed the bike to the car roof, and set off home at 70mph down the A1. Without pressing "Finish" on Strava.
"Hang on sir" said Strava, "this doesn't seem quite legit". (About 75 KOMs "smashed"). 😄
Cue awkward vehicle section cropping.
I did the same thing once but Mr Strava didn't say anything at all, it was deleted a couple of days later. It's actually quite efficient, as it would just have been embarrassing having to deal with the local KOM w####rs. :laugh:

Top Bottom