Eccles cakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I'm not normally a fan of modern eccles cakes, with that strange dried fruit sludge they seem to contain nowadays.

However, at the Pump Street bakery in Orford, Suffolk, this afternoon I had a near-religious cake experience. Eccles cakes stuffed with proper dried fruit, the sugars from which had boiled out through the holes and caramelised on the pastry. Fantastic! Especially after a long morning ride and an afternoon walk of several miles

John
eccles.jpg

accountantpete

Brexiteer
schlurp:hungry:

OP
OP
Rezillo

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Just needs a bit of Lancashire cheese to go with it.

I googled the shop name and eccles - their eccles cakes seem to be popular items! And there was this from the Telegraph reviewing their cafe/coffee shop: "Dishes on offer include green pea and lovage soup, lemon and tarragon chicken salad and a plate of cheese with an eccles cake".

We went there for some bread (which is also good) but a mountain of sticky glazed eccles cakes on a large plate stopped me in my tracks. Not a cheap shop but not a rip-off either, given the quality, unlike other places in the village. It's got a cafe but if full, there's another good one near the quay on the waterfront.

John

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Now I like an Eccles cake, but that one does look extra scrummy. I don't suppose they would deliver a bulk order?

It must be tough "Up North", the Eccles cakes sold at work are "Fair Trade". I can imagine the folks having to work long hours for a pittance without any proper houses or education.

I only hope that by buying fair trade Eccles cakes, I can help some poor northern soul get luxuries in life, like shoes for the children. :whistle:

I generally prefer a Chorley cake (GLW is from there so it's in my contract to say that) but that looks like a cracker, on a par with the ones from St John (which do get served with a slice of Mrs Kirkham's finest)

Top Bottom