Edge 800 OS map

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
I have just received my Garmin Edge 800 today but am a bit worried about opening it. It says the Discoverer map that comes with the package is for trails when I wanted it for road use.

Can somebody please tell me that I will be able to use it on country roads as opposed to just trails?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but it's a lot of money to waste if it's not going to do the job I want.

Paul

1. The OS map is a classic ordnance survey, but you can add road names, it will autoroute and you can navigate and guide on roads so this is perfectly usable.

I am used to OS maps so this is not a problem, and find that this is perfect for me as I also use off road tracks and cycle facilities

m-map_os-landranger_map-sample_001.jpg

When you come to a turn you get a simple direction

edge-800-2T-190x190.jpg

So this will do exactly what you have asked, but if you don't want the extra "clutter" of the Ordnancesurvey you can download and use a free map, the "OSM Cycle map", again entirely routable and in some ways superior to the original Garmin offering

OSM_map_of_York_UK_2.png

To me the perfect combination is the ordnance survey and OSM

All of the information you need to download these are on Frank Kinlan's excellent blog

Top Bottom