Electric bike after a couple of months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
I`m a member of an electric bike forum and quite frankly although there are some reasonable members there is an elitist undertone. So that`s why I asked if I could post on here (Cycle chat) and Shaun kindly let me use this special interest forum.

After purchasing this bike http://www.uksportimports.com/catal...7.html?zenid=6e9d0818470489cb76321f38663bb675
I`ve been told that it is possibly rubbish. Well! E Bikes I don`t know but push bikes and engineering I`m OK on.

The fit and finish is superb, 36V 250W motor is powerful and nicely progressive.It has an ali frame. I`ve added a set of full SKS 65mm mudguards, a Blackburn handlebar mirror , some basic lights( that I use even in daylight) and various other bits and bobs. I just absolutely love the thing(I`m 65 BTW) it has brought a whole new meaning to my cycling. The good thing about this model is that I can have pedal assist where the hub motor assists me until the crank gets a fair amount of momentum and then if i want to go faster I`m on my own. I can turn everything off and with no drag from the motor it`s like a normal MTB although a bit heavier than normal or can operate it from a twist grip throttle on the right hand bar with no pedaling at all( reserved for when the battery goes flat or I`m knackered:biggrin: although I have used it to balance power on climbs I haven`t needed it in an emergency.)
I stuck a Brooks flyer with rear springs saddle on it and it is now much more comfortable. I`ve never run the battery completely flat as I only use it local but i reckon that the battery is at least good for 20miles and probably a lot more if you do some of the work.
What I have discovered is that a lot of the parts seem to be used on cheaper and much more expensive bikes so paying a lot of money isn`t going to get you something worth that much more. Out of interest we picked up a 24V 200W small 17" frame E bike for my wife from sportshq for £399 (like mine it is Li-ion technology) and she is now hooked and we share time together rather than solo riding. It`s the best £400 we`ve spent on a hobby type of thing.(it`s great because I can buy bits and pieces)
Anyway, dinner is calling but I will report back as the miles go on.

BTW I have also just fitted an E bike kit to my Evans MTB and will report on my findings shortly. This time I went for a front wheel drive kit to keep things simple. Feel free to ask any questions and I`ll do my best to answer them or point you to where you might get help. There are people who have lots legs and were struggling with cycling and have got a second chance now with an E bike.

You can legally ride one at 14 years old with no registration, road tax or insurance.

Be back soon

Dave

trickletreat

Veteran
Hello Dave, this makes good reading. I haven't looked back since buying an electric bike, just helps out when you need it and keeps, or gets you cycling. I have now moved the motor and bits onto my trike, and use it daily.
I have tried to join pedelecs, but I can't register, they have blocked my email address and don't reply as to why. Shame really as I met a few of the regulars at the "tour de Presteigne" electric bike weekend. There is a great deal of knowledge on that forum, but alot goes over my head.
Happy cycling and look forward to hearing how you get on.
Nigel

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
trickletreat said:
Hello Dave, this makes good reading. I haven't looked back since buying an electric bike, just helps out when you need it and keeps, or gets you cycling. I have now moved the motor and bits onto my trike, and use it daily.
I have tried to join pedelecs, but I can't register, they have blocked my email address and don't reply as to why. Shame really as I met a few of the regulars at the "tour de Presteigne" electric bike weekend. There is a great deal of knowledge on that forum, but alot goes over my head.
Nigel
Hiya Nigel

Well, I`ve tried to post reviews of my bikes on pedelcs but they never seem to appear.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
trickletreat said:
Nigel

People on that forum were saying that "was it right that the selected few makers that support the site should be able to post amongst the man in the street user" Although I must say that the guy from wisper bikes (one of the expensive group) seems to be very even minded and friendly.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
My Alien kit

The site is here http://www.alienbikes.co.uk/

They sell made up bikes and kits. My kit was the 36V 250W front wheel hub kit.

The company is very friendly and my dealings with Jim are all you could wish for.
No problem fitting the wheel into my elderly Evans forks, you need around 100mm minimum between legs and my forks were spot on. I had to file out the drop outs a touch to get the rather large spindle in along with the supplied washers that have a tab to prevent the spindle from turning but in my case the two flats on the spindle were a nice tight fit. You get supplied a double skin wheel(black and ali) which doesn`t match my rear single skin all ali rear wheel but it`s not that noticeable. Next I fitted the pedelec sensor( pedal assist) you are supposed to fit it between the chain wheel and the bottom bracket( two piece, one is the sensor that goes under the BB securing ring and the other is a plastic ring with several magnets on that slides up the spindle) so as it spins the magnets pass the sensor and transmit your speed etc. to a controller. Well, unless I wanted to loose my small third ring I decided to fit it on the opposite side and it works just as well but you have to fit the magnet ring in reverse.
You are supplied a pair of brake levers that have a small micro switch inside so that the slightest braking action cuts the power (makes sense) I opted to just fit the left hand lever for the rear brake because my levers have the rear gear changer lever fixed to them and although i resited the front changer lever(that probably won`t get used now) I wanted to keep my rear gear change lever where it was( even more important is trying to get all that and a right hand twist throttle on the bars) they do offer a spring return thumb lever as well.
So! with that sorted out I then fitted the supplied new rear rack that has a section for sliding the battery in from the rear and leaving the top just like a normal rack. Very good quality rack that was easy to fit. In the seat end of the new rack sits the controller and as you push the battery in some slots in the bottom of the battery engage with pins in the controller and make contact, you can then lock the battery in place. There is no ignition key switch like my other bike and it is just a rocker switch which means that if you kleave the battery on and don`t lock your bike then someone can ride it away with electric power (I`m gonna look into fitting a key switch)Now you bring all the wires from the pedelec, brakes and front wheel hub along the frame and into the controller from below and screw on a plastic lid (water tight) charge the battery and away you go. sounds like a 5 minute job but in reality and to do a good job I spread mine over a few days. My kit cost £450 delivered from the UK but I noticed a kit on E bay that looks identical for £100 less but was pushed towards Alien because of the backup.
Next post

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
A word about the pedal assist.

On my Powertrek Dynamo bike there is a flick switch on the bars. One position is pedal assist off and you can freely pedal or if you like you can use the twist thottle as and when to help boost you along. Positon two is pedal assist on + throttle. Now this might seem a contradiction! why would you want pedal assist and twist throttle? the sensor senses when your crank is going fast enough to leave you alone and reduces the power, now you come to a hill and want to maintain speed and by using the throttle the power will come back in (provided your not exeeding 15mph) at that speed you are on your own.No pedaling and using throttle gives you a rest. Sounds a bit quirkie but in practice on the road it allows me to more or less ride in top gear even up slight hills and maintain a good average.I`m not very fit and my computer tells me I`m averaging about 14mph generally.

Now the pedal assist (pedelec) on the kit works differently. It gives preference to a fast moving chain wheel. So when you come to a hill and drop a gear for the climb it cuts in and helps you, some people say that they prefer that but I can get assistance anytime on my dynamo bike by using the throttle. So now this system drops the assistance when your chain wheel slows down so in my case i get loads of assistance as i move off and go through the gears till I hit the higher gears and start to pedal slowly when it drops off power and so slowly I start to loose momentum, drop a couple of gears and in comes the power as my chainwheel speeds up and so on and so on (illogical to me) So what I`ve done with the kit bike is to disconnect the pedals assist wires and balance the power on the throttle. I can move off easily in a low gear and pedal till I need help and then just twist if required.
I reckon that the front wheel drive hub of the kit (which is 36V 250W) can drive me along in top gear easily at 20mph (well it certainly feels like 20mph) perhaps it`s me getting more fit.
So I think the kit front wheel hub might just have the edge in power but you have to think more about what you are doing whereas the Powertrek tends to just leave you alone and balance things out and you drop a gear as and when you need to. It`s a matter of getting used to knowing just when to change gear for the power band.

What ever, they certainly open up the road and hardened cyclists use them for commute and arrive at work a lot fresher than they used to. I reckon a person with a 20mile each way commute, used sensibly will do it on a full battery, some people with a longer commute have either a second battery or a second charger at work.

When you consider the cost of a kit then I reckon my wifes £399 bike was very good value.

Dave

trickletreat

Veteran
Your kit option sounds spot on, I like the idea of the battery being locked to the rack, mine is loose in a pannier. Mine is not a speed machine, the motor gets me and trailer up to 15mph quickly, and then its over to me. There are two power levels, which can help manage the batter.
Its a high torque steel geared Heinzmann motor, which is great in the mtb for steep off road tracks..really amazing what it will get you up.

The extra power is useful on road when pulling the trailer with my daughter in it, especially when windy.

Steve at Electricmountainbikes.com emailed me last night to say that the 'Tour de Presteigne" is going ahead this year. Its worth a visit to see all the options in one place,nice area to cycle aswell.http://www.tourdepresteigne.co.uk/

Davidc

Guru
Do these systems have regeneration (ie charge the battery when going downhill or slowing down)?

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Davidc said:
Do these systems have regeneration (ie charge the battery when going downhill or slowing down)?
No! the alien doesn`t, I believe there are some bikes already built that have it(there might be a kit that has it) the last time I read about that was that the hubs then become quite complicated and I think they have had some teething problems. I`ve no doubt that that feature will become the norm one day soon though.

Cheers

Dave

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
trickletreat said:
Your kit option sounds spot on, I like the idea of the battery being locked to the rack, mine is loose in a pannier. Mine is not a speed machine, the motor gets me and trailer up to 15mph quickly, and then its over to me. There are two power levels, which can help manage the batter.
Its a high torque steel geared Heinzmann motor, which is great in the mtb for steep off road tracks..really amazing what it will get you up.

The extra power is useful on road when pulling the trailer with my daughter in it, especially when windy.

Steve at Electricmountainbikes.com emailed me last night to say that the 'Tour de Presteigne" is going ahead this year. Its worth a visit to see all the options in one place,nice area to cycle aswell.http://www.tourdepresteigne.co.uk/

I would fancy that trip but it`s quite a distance from me in north norfolk. You never know though:biggrin:

Dave

trickletreat

Veteran
Davidc said:

The Bionx kits offer regeneration when braking and going down hill.When set to max regeneration, it acts as a lock as well. Complex system and costly, does not match heinzmann for grunt on steep inclines either.

I don't think you get much extra battery life in real conditions either. If the reason to use a kit is to get back into cycling , you will find your fitness soon improves and as such you use less assistance from the motor, therefore extending use.

Top Bottom