Electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

Dont know a lot about them, but i suppose it depends on whether you need the electric assistance, interested as to why, is it based on distance, lots of hills or medical reasons ?

I would always suggest going for a normal bike, as though some of the electrics are good you lose out on some of the main benefit, exercise and end up with a heavy compromised bike when it runs out of battery.

biking_fox

Guru
Ditto as above really.

My OtherHalf (medical reasons) chose one of the PowerCycle ones and seems quite happy with it. Comes boxed, and is a bit fiddly to build. But so far has dramatically increaed mobility and brought some joy back.

They are very very heavy. The biggest consideration is battery life / range really. How far do you want to ride on it?

There's a big future in lecky bikes, they are huge in China at the moment so the technology will improve and the costs come down. As long as one is aware of their range limitations they are a valid transport solution.

There's still a lot of snobbery towards riders of electric bikes from 'real' cyclists which I find detestable, shirley anything which gets people out of their cars is a good thing.

AtoB magazine for the best analysis of the market and reviews of current models.

jimboalee

The Motor Industry Research Association spent a lot of money testing, building and destroying many electric bikes.
Their conclusions were:-
1/ Battery packs, either NiMh or Li-Ion do not have the capacity to be viable for distances over 40 miles.
2/ Riders get laughed at by pedal cyclists. - This was from the bitter experience of MIRA engineers, and this simple reason would deter people purchasing an electric bike.
3/ The cost of replacing the battery pack on an annual basis, Li-Ion in particular, was far greater than the maintenance cost of a conventional bicycle.

As a cyclist, and working at MIRA, I was asked if I would 'test' the bikes to commute 17 miles each way. I declined, and the response was "I'm not surprised, we can't find anyone who will ride the things".

The only electric bike I would consider riding is a Yamaha Derney I saw in a magazine once, but I can't find it on the internet. Maybe the project was scrapped.

J4CKO

I wouldn't laugh at anyone on them, at least they arent in a Audi Q7 on the phone, however I wouldn't advocate someone able to ride a normal bike to buying one, ok if you are old, very unfit, have lots of killer hills you need a lift with but if you are ok you may as well get fitter to cope.

If it gets anyone on a bike, then thats fair enough, much more pleasant and quiter than a Honda "Chicken Chaser" spewing petrol fumes.

I'm scratching my head but I just can't remember, December's C+ had a solar electric concept bike that looked quite cool.

Edit checked the mag when I got home its a Miljevic concept bike Sol

Archie

Errrr.....
jimboalee said:
As a cyclist, and working at MIRA, I was asked if I would 'test' the bikes to commute 17 miles each way. I declined, and the response was "I'm not surprised, we can't find anyone who will ride the things".

Hell, PM me and I'll test the damn thing for them! I don't give a toss what anyone thinks. That way I could still cycle on the days I play footy after work. :smile:

sloe

Saw one in the flesh just today. Looked like a well thought out and reliable, robust arrangement, took a heavy crash without damage, capable of 30 miles in very hilly terrain off each charge, NiMH. Heavy mind. Could find the name and price of it if you want.

Brentford FC

Wait !

I think ebikes are wonderful.Im not fit and would struggle with out assistance.I love them so much Im starting an electric bike centre in Berkshire.You can all come and try different bikes when were up an running in a few weeks time.

Top Bottom