Embarrassing Bodies TV programme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never wear Russian underpants. Cheynobyl-fall out

Maz

Guru
I wonder how many film takes they have to do?
They must have to do hundreds cos the doctors either start laughing or go EUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH-EEEWWWWWWW!!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I wonder how many film takes they have to do?
They must have to do hundreds cos the doctors either start laughing or go EUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH-EEEWWWWWWW!!

They are real doctors, I'm pretty sure if they laughed at an ailment that's causing a patient issues or said ewwww etc that they would get struck off

One of the reasons behind EB is that there is a stigma to non perfect people by others who think it's ok to laugh at people

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll find that many of the 'issues' folk have on the programme just wouldn't be covered by the NHS, or possibly by their Local NHS, much of it due to budget restraints. If you had the cash, you'd get them sorted out privately - but operations don't come cheap. They are real issues for these people, and any improvement in their life, must be worth while the embarrasment of going on TV for a few minutes.

[QUOTE 1966006, member: 76"]The NHS will obviously cover the vast majority of the issues on EB, to say otherwise is nonsense.[/quote]
Except I actually know one person who has been on the programme. The treatment they required could be classed as cosmetic, however the NHS did used to support it, BUT, budget cuts have now determined that the particular treatment can no longer be done under NHS guidelines, despite the very real psychological benefits that providing the treatment would bring for the patient.

So, in this persons case it was very much a case of needs must. They were not able to afford the procedure any other way what so ever, and this despite the fact they had actually adhered to all the previous NHS guidelines, and in fact had saved the NHS £1000's by the way they achieved what they did prior to requiring the surgery that EB eventually provided.

I have a very small penis. Do you think they could do something about that?
I'm sure they could. They could give you Dr Christian's Porsche 911 ;)

[QUOTE 1966430, member: 76"]So, like I said, if it was clinically needed the NHS would have done it. These situations were not, so it didn't. Why is that so difficult?[/quote]
So, like I said, the NHS used to do it, and without their budget cuts they still would. This situation did require treatment but the NHS but their hands are tied. Why is that so difficult?

The person has now received the treatment they needed, what does it matter how they received it? Why not just be happy that the person is now in a better psychological place and is able to live their life in a way they haven't been able to until until now?

there was on espisode where some poor guy had a problem upp his bottom, and he had to have surgery, my wife was stunned because in the 10 years of marriage its the first time she had ever seen me put off my food. :laugh:
I just kept thinkng that when he wakes up, my god is that gonna hurt

[QUOTE 1966541, member: 76"]If your friend needed treatment they would get it. For cosmetic procedures there is no money. The NHS cannot treat everything unfortunately. Decisions have to be made, and often they are difficult.[/quote]
Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong I'm not slagging the NHS, far from it. When I talk to my best mate who now lives in the US he often regales me with tales of treatments people have had and the truly frightening costs they would face there without good insurance, ergo I am an NHS fanboy.

However, in this instance my friend was told one thing at one point in time, only to then be told sorry we can no longer do it when the qualifying period was over. I know my friend appreciates the tough decisions the NHS face as well as the next person, and parameters change all the time which is what caught my friend out this time, but what I can't have is criticism of how the treatment was eventually procured considering the soul searching that had to be done with any surgery consideration, and the fact it was the one and only option available.

[QUOTE 1966006, member: 76"]It is certainly odd though, that people often say they haven't been to their GP because they are embarrassed, but then lay in front of tv cameras and display all:wacko:[/quote]

I used to think this too, but when you know the personal reasons behind some of these decisions, you realise that flaunting their bits on national TV is not something they wanted to do, but something they maybe had no choice but do. A means to an end let's say.

Glad we go things sorted Maggot. Have a great weekend :thumbsup:

Top Bottom