Emergency stop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
When was the last time you had to do one?

Me?

10 minutes ago Here

I was driving NE and the car overtaking was coming towards me.

This would have been the oncoming car driver's View

Would you overtake there, national speed limit, at dusk?

Luckily, I live locally and anticipated this as the oncoming lights (through the trees) seemed too far left (ie on my side) as I approached, so I slammed on - nothing following. The car would have hit me doing 50+ (100 mph+ closing speed) had I not acted. Also, as I travel this road frequently I see people pulling this stunt often, sometimes with oncoming LGV's :ohmy:

I can only assume they thought, "Sod it I'm going past and to hell with the consequences"

Davidc

Guru
Good anticipative defensive driving.

Well done, it's the only way to survive in the presence of some of the morons with driving licences out there.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I used to ride powerful sports bikes, and always used the mantra 'treat every car driver as if they are out to get you'.

It never let me down.

As a police responce and initial pursuit trained driver, I now use the mantra, 'Can I safely bring my vehicle to a stop in the area I can see to be clear in front of me?'

In my case it was yes.

In the other driver's case it was no.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I used to ride powerful sports bikes, and always used the mantra 'treat every car driver as if they are out to get you'.

It never let me down.

As a police responce and initial pursuit trained driver, I now use the mantra, 'Can I safely bring my vehicle to a stop in the area I can see to be clear in front of me?'

In my case it was yes.

In the other driver's case it was no.

Surely (don't call me shirley!) as a Comedy Pilot, your mantra is "Can I land this plane full of singing nuns and other stereotypes and stop before I put the nose through the terminal window?"

Well done anyway. 'Expect idiots' is probably my mantra.

Oh...THAT road again!

Wasn't long ago we had a similar topic with overtaking on that road (might have been yours if that's your stomping ground)

I agree, it's a common occurence on that road - especially on Bank Holidays with kids in the car, for some reason the road creates suicidal dads* intent on wiping out their whole family

*and mums too, no sexism intended, women can be equally aggressive and reckless with their family's and other people's lives

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Oh...THAT road again!

Wasn't long ago we had a similar topic with overtaking on that road (might have been yours if that's your stomping ground)

I agree, it's a common occurence on that road - especially on Bank Holidays with kids in the car, for some reason the road creates suicidal dads* intent on wiping out their whole family

*and mums too, no sexism intended, women can be equally aggressive and reckless with their family's and other people's lives

Yep, that road. This time I was in my car (with my wits about me)

Brains

Legendary Member

I can only assume they thought, "Sod it I'm going past and to hell with the consequences"

I'm afraid a daily occurence for London commuters.
I guess I do one ememrgency stop a week, and daily have to put the brakes on sharpish.
Mostly due to inconsiderate car drivers or SMIDSY's

My 6 mile commute is flat with about 60 sets of traffic lights.
A set of brake bloks lasts about 500 miles in the winter

Dan B

Disengaged member
I have a fixed, and I still wouldn't want to be without a front brake in traffic. Leg braking or skid stopping will never be as effective if it stops the back wheel - there's far more traction available at the front.

That said, I dont' find myself emergency stopping nearly as often as once a week: either I'm a more sedate rider than Brains above, or it really is a crazier place south of the river

al78

Guru

A few weeks ago here:

Coming down this road at around 11pm a driver, coming from the side road on the left up to the junction, wanting to turn left, pulls straight out in front of me at the same time as a driver behind was in the process of overtaking me. That driver was forced to overtake the car that had pulled out as well, thankfully nothing was coming the other way. I had to slam brakes on and just managed to stop a couple of feet short. The road at that point is going downhill so I was accelerating at the time as well. How you can miss a cyclist with a B&M IQ Cyo front light (bright enough for navigating unlit country lanes) AND a car coming from the same direction is beyond me.

Friday morning here. I think. Does punching the back of a car to try and stop count?

Theres actually a width restriction now and a 'Give way to oncoming traffic sign' where the white car on the right is parked.
Matey decided he must get past the cyclist, despite a car approaching the restriction from the other direction, accelerates past me (closely) - parked cars on both sides.
Dives in front of me <sarcasm> well done for actually getting past me before doing this </sarcasm> then slams on. I grab handfuls of brake but road is wet and slide into rear corner of car.
He now helpfully shouts 'are you alright mate?' :o) Obviously realised he'got it wrong, and is now sat in middle of road stopping car coming through the width restriction from other direction. Pillock.

I left enough room for a car to get past. This was intended for the one coming towards me, not the one behind.

And kudos for the lady who had waited behind and pulled slowly alongside me afterwards with window down to check I was ok and called the driver a pratt as well.

Top Bottom