Emma Pooley wins Montreal WC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hLxvDffOlA7IdJolsbXXribFDU0w

England's Emma Pooley jumped out to a big lead on the very first lap and never relinquished it, leading wire-to-wire Saturday to win the Montreal stage of the Women's Cycling World Cup.
Pooley, 27, rode practically the entire 11-lap, 110.66-kilometre race with no help from her Cervelo Test Team after opening up a 28-second lead on the first lap and growing it to more than three minutes by the sixth lap.
Pooley's lead began to dwindle over the final five laps of the race, but it was too great by that point to be made up by the chase peloton.

Won by 1:14 over the chasing group led in by Emma Johannson

Will1985

Über Member
Most of Emma's breakaways are the suicidal solo type which end in a catch, so it's nice to see she held out.
She's riding nicely into proper form for the national championships - she has a good chance I reckon and the lumpy final 30km should play into her favour.

I know a couple of U23 riders who are looking forward to racing with the big girls...going to be tough!

Will1985

Über Member
Keith Oates said:
I sometimes wish that the women riders from the UK could form their own team, I'm sure it would be a strong one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There pretty much is - it's called Vision1 RT, Keith :biggrin: Although it really seems to be a team built around Nicole Cooke.

Keith Oates

Janner
You're right Will1985, but there are some non Brits in the team (nothing wrong with that really) but some of the better Brits are in other teams. Now if we could get them ALL together is would be very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skip Madness

Will1985 said:
Most of Emma's breakaways are the suicidal solo type which end in a catch, so it's nice to see she held out.
My thoughts exactly - had I been watching the race live I would have been thinking, "Not again Emma for goodness' sake - wait for a bit," but you can't argue with the result.

The Suede Vargarda rounds are next, aren't they? Those should be good news for Cervélo again.

resal1

Excellent win. It will make an interesting National Champs. How hilly is the course, will it suit Emma more than Nicole ?

Skip Madness

resal1 said:
Excellent win. It will make an interesting National Champs. How hilly is the course, will it suit Emma more than Nicole ?
2009_BRITISHRRCHAMPS_WOMPROFILE.GIF

It looks like it has been made for Nicole Cooke. Disappointingly (or not), the men's race the following day goes over the Tumble (the tough side, to boot - EDIT - looking at it again I think they are going up the "easier" side) - if they had put that in the women's race then Pooley would be in with a much better shout. My guess is that they thought it would be too uncompetitive with it in (ie. Cooke versus Pooley), whereas a less lumpy parcours puts other riders in with a shout - probably a fair call.

Top Bottom